Printing file name to last blank column before importing to new workbook

seacubs17

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I'm trying to import data from several workbooks into a single one, but I'm trying to print the file name on the first blank column for every row of data. I want to do this step on the original files before importing the data to the new workbook.

The code that I have is able to paste all the information into one workbook, but I still need to create the part of the code that pastes the file name to the first blank column and I'm not sure how to do that.

I'm not good with VBA and this is my first time posting on this forum, so please let me know if I didn't publish enough information. I was wondering if any of you could be able to help me with this? Here is the code that I currently have (Thank you!)

Sub CopyRange()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim wkbDest As Workbook
Dim wkbSource As Workbook
Set wkbDest = ThisWorkbook
Dim LastRow As Long
Const strPath As String = "C:\" 'file location

ChDir strPath

strExtension = Dir("*.xlsx")
Do While strExtension <> ""
Set wkbSource = Workbooks.Open(strPath & strExtension)
With wkbSource
LastRow = .Sheets("LX02 - Kostner WIP").Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
.Sheets("Sheet1Source").Range("A2:L" & LastRow).Copy wkbDest.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
.Close savechanges:=False

End With
strExtension = Dir

Loop

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
All the files have the same range A:M. Column L would be were I want to paste the source file name.

Upvote 0
All the files have the same range A:M. Column L would be were I want to paste the source file name.

Sorry, that was wrong. All the files have the same range A:K. Column L would be were I want to paste the source file name.

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
wkbDest.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells( 2, 12).value = strPath & strExtension
added right before the close

Upvote 0
This is very helpful, thank you. I actually moved it before the .Sheets because it was only pasting the last file's name when I put it before the close.

Is there a code that I can use to say paste that information from L2 down to the last row of data?

VBA Code:
Sub CopyRange()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim wkbDest As Workbook
    Dim wkbSource As Workbook
    Set wkbDest = ThisWorkbook
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Const strPath As String = "C:\" 'file location

ChDir strPath

strExtension = Dir("*.xlsx")
    Do While strExtension <> ""
        Set wkbSource = Workbooks.Open(strPath & strExtension)
        With wkbSource
            LastRow = .Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row

wkbSource.Sheets("Sheet1Source").Cells(2, 12).Value = strPath & strExtension

.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2:L" & LastRow).Copy wkbDest.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
            .Close savechanges:=False

End With
        strExtension = Dir

Loop

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Upvote 0
is there additional data below L2? I thought you said A:K held data L2 was for the filename? can you show a breif chunk of data from that area?

Upvote 0
So, the source data files have information in columns A:K, and all the files have different number of rows with data. So, I'm trying to paste the file name on column L (first blank column) for all the rows in each worksheet and not just the first row.

Capture.JPG

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back