Printing Non-adjacent columns

SlinkRN

OK, here's another thing I've read the help menu on many times over and still can't get done: I want to print 2 columns that aren't next to eachother. I go to the print menu, set the print area for the first column and then set the print area to include the third column by holding down control. When I go to print preview it shows each column on a separate page. I've gone to pagebreak preview but I can't move the columns next to eachother. I only want those 2 non-adjacent columns to show up on the printed page.

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
You can not do what you wish using normal print features. Here is a workaround.

Right Click on a toolbar and choose customize. On the Commands tab, select Tools for the category. Scroll down the command section until you find the Camera. Drag it up to a toolbar. Close the dialog box.

Now, Select the first Range you want to print and click the Camera. Go to another location(Even another sheet) and click the sheet. This will paste a picture of the data in the new location. Repeat for the second range. You may move the pictures around if needed. You can now set a print range that includes the pictures and print it on one page. Note: the pictures are linked to the original data, so if the data changes, the pictures change also.

HTH
This message was edited by lenze on 2002-10-30 16:30

Upvote 0
How 'bout this:

Set the print range from the 1st column to the last, and hide all the columns in between before printing. Walla!

Upvote 0
On 2002-10-30 17:24, Barry Katcher wrote:
How 'bout this:

Set the print range from the 1st column to the last, and hide all the columns in between before printing. Walla!

Barry's suggestion is the practical one if your data is reasonably close, and you don't mind the hassle of hiding and unhiding columns. (If it's, say , a one time thing.). If it's a report you print regularly, or if the data is on different sheets or on the same sheet, but not on the same rows (Say A1:A25 and C200:C225), you will need to use the picture method. Remember , the pictures are linked, so once you set it up, you can simply reprint that print range if the data changes
This message was edited by lenze on 2002-10-30 17:42

Upvote 0
lenze is right about data on different sheets or in different rows. If on same sheet and same rows, even many columns apart, you can do a simple Hide Columns-Print-Unhide Columns macro.

Upvote 0
Further to Barry's post about hiding & unhiding columns, there is a way that you can achive this without VBA and which will allow you to hide & unhide columns (or rows) with one mouse click.
To hide columns, select the contiguous range of columns you want to hide, then from the menu select Data / Group and Outline / Group.
This will "outline" (collapse / hide) the selected columns and place a "+" above the remaining visible column, which you can then expand (unhide) or collapse (hide) at will with the single mouse click.
I think this tool was designed for use where there was genuine logic in hiding data (eg like when automatic subtotals are applied, allowing you to collapse the data so that you can see only the subtotals, or expand to see the detail), but it works for simple hiding/unhiding of any column or row.

HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpierce

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back