Prioritizing Tasks based on two Date Criteria

gpwusaty

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I need some help in creating a formula or a macro that will prioritize (and assign a number to) a list of tasks based on two dates. The data is applications received, we have two dates, one is the date the application was received, and the other is the requested date of retirement. I want to be able to prioritize on a first in and first out basis, but accounting for applications we received late which have a closer selected retirement date.

Below is a sample of three employees, which I have manually prioritized. The logic being, Employee 1 gets priority 1 because it is one of the older applications we've received, and the date of retirement is in the past, Employee 2 get priority 2 because it is the next closest retirement date, but not the oldest application, and finally Employee 3 gets ranked third because its the furthest date away, but the oldest application for that date.

Employee NameRetirement DateApplication ReceivedTodays DateDays Since Application ReceivedPriority
Employee 12/1/20212/18/20213/24/2021
34​
1​
Employee 26/1/20212/22/20213/24/2021
30​
2​
Employee 37/1/20212/18/20213/24/2021
34​
3​

I'm not experienced with Excel enough to develop something (either formula or macro) on my own, but having something to assist with this process would be a huge time saver.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back