Private information accessible for specific users

Rafaa

Hello,

I'm facing an information privacy issue at work. I will try to make it clearer using a simpler example. The current situation is as follows:

1 - There is a shared workbook in the server with 3 columns (A - orders / B -prices / C - production dates)
2 - 3 users accessing and working on that workbook (John, Peter and Clark)
3 - John needs to fill and constantly update the orders and prices.
4- Peter needs to fill and constantly update the production dates but he shouldn't have access to the prices.
5 - Clark uses all 3 columns to manage the orders.

I thought of using different solutions but they don't seem to be very practical:

1- veryHidden tabs - having to unhide and hide tabs all the time isn't efficient.
2- hiding columns on the left hand side to avoid the "copy and paste" break of privacy issue - again, having to unhide and hide tabs isn't efficient.

A third solution that I thought of was to have another workbook that would be a live duplicate of the first one, but then I don't know how to avoid reference problems with people changing the order of the rows by sorting data or even by inserting new rows. In other words, this third solution would be:

workbook 1 has columns A,B,C with John and Clark accessing it.
workbook 2 copies columns A, B from workbook 1 and Peter fills up column C on it, but then, somehow, the column C in both workbooks should present the same values in both workbook and being able to be updated from both workbooks.

I don't know if that is possible, as we will be doing an infinity loop referring back to the same cells.

PROBLEM: Usually I don't know the commands and formulas to make a solution work and with some help of you guys I get there, but this time I don't even have a clear picture of how I could solve this issue.

Thank you very much in advance!

Have a great Friday afternoon!

Cheers,

Raf

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back