Probabilities...

proficient

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Hello everyone, I have a list from A to Z, what I want to do is to make a probability list of two alphabets, like AA, AB, AC when A series finishe I need to make B list then C, D till Z, all sets will be made in same colum after finishing previous alphbet sets... what formula will work here? Please advise.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Several options:

Excel 2012
ABCDE
1AAAAAAA
2ABABABB
3ACACACC
4ADADADD
5AEAEAEE
6AFAFAFF
7AGAGAGG
8AHAHAHH
9AIAIAII
10AJAJAJJ
11AKAKAKK
12ALALALL
13AMAMAMM
14ANANANN
15AOAOAOO
16APAPAPP
17AQAQAQQ
18ARARARR
19ASASASS
20ATATATT
21AUAUAUU
22AVAVAVV
23AWAWAWW
24AXAXAXX
25AYAYAYY
26AZAZAZZ
27BABABA
28BBBBBB
29BCBCBC
30BDBDBD

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet2

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
A1=CHAR(INT((ROW()-1)/26)+65)&CHAR(MOD(ROW()-1,26)+65)
B1=SUBSTITUTE(ADDRESS(1,ROW()+26,4),1,"")
C1=INDEX(E:E,INT((ROW()-1)/COUNTA(E:E))+1)&INDEX(E:E,MOD(ROW()-1,COUNTA(E:E))+1)

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

The formula in A1 uses CHAR to get the A-Z list. The INT and MOD functions figure out from the ROW what values to use.

The formula in B1 uses the fact that Excel column addresses count up in the same way as you describe for a slightly shorter formula.

The formula in C1 doesn't assume you want a list of A, B, C, etc. but lets you put your list in column E.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much, have one question, you used 26 cau there are 26 alphabets in English, what if we have no criteria then how can we use substitute and CHAR formulae...?

Upvote 0
Moreover, my list starts from A3, how can I adjust references...? As in your given formula it covers the whole column...

Upvote 0
One more question, what if I want to make AAA ABB then AAAA ABBB...?

Upvote 0
I don't know exactly how CHAR will work with other languages, so I'd recommend using the C1 formula. Just create a list of the characters you want to use in column E (or a column of your choice).

Also, that formula is designed to work from row 1. Look at the formula and you will see "ROW()-1" in 2 places. If you start in row 3, change that to "ROW()-3" in both places.

And finally, if you want to make longer lists of combinations, it is possible to do it with formulas, but it gets complicated fast. I'd recommend using a macro to calculate them. I wrote one up here:

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/994820-list-all-possible-combinations.html

It has instructions on how to use it. You can make the characters you want in columns A, B, C, etc. You can put the same list in each column if you want to get the lists you ask for.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back