Probably a very easy one (SOLVED)

phantom1975

MrExcel MVP
What is the setting in Excel to change the color of the border of an active cell? I have a spreadsheet that I am looking at right now that does this without a macro.

This message was edited by phantom1975 on 2002-10-28 15:00

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
It's not conditional formating either. Basically, when you click a cell within a range, the border or the active cell changes color. There are no macros or conditional formatting set up (at least, none that I can see.)

Upvote 0
Hi there
It seems to be integral to Excel that the border of the active cell changes color to whatever contrasts against the existing background color. Presumably there is underlying code that reads the cell color and ensures the "active-cell-selected" border color can be seen against it, otherwise if you chose red as the active-cell-selected border, for example, how would you see which was the active cell in an array of red cells?
regards
Derek

Upvote 0
Good guess Viper, but no, it's not Personal.xls. This doesn't seem to be application based because when I switch to a different workbook the same thing doesn't occur. This happens within a range of cells on a worksheet. If you go outside of this range then the active cell border acts as usual. I thought for sure that it must be either data validation or conditional formatting or even a macro, but I could find no trace of it. I thought that perhaps there was some sort of setting within Excel that I was unaware of. I'll keep playing with it and see what I can find out. I know how to duplicate it using a macro, but I would like to see how it was achieved within this particular workbook.

Upvote 0
This is my official declaration that I am a dummy. It turns out that the worksheet that did this phenomenon has cells with BLUE borders. When you activate one of these cells, it turns yellow. I noticed that this naturally occurs all the time. Since I only deal with BLACK borders, the effect isn't as noticable.

Upvote 0
Hey Phantom,

I started laughing when I was reading your latest post and then I realized...I did the same type of thing over the weekend with TWO projects so, I stopped laughing. :)

All in good fun, my friend and I am glad that this one is solved for ya!!

Keep on Codin' Dude!!

ViperGTS

This message was edited by ViperGTS on 2002-10-28 19:37

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back