Problem adding rows and columns

uncommonadvice

When I try to add a row to a certain document I get the blue spinning wheel for 10 seconds and no new row is added. The sheet then freezes and eventually crashes.

When I later re-open the document the new row has appeared. The same thing arises when I try to add columns.

This seemed to start out of the blue a few weeks back. Research online has suggested removing rows from the bottom of the spreadsheet. I've tried that to no avail.

I'm using Microsoft 365. The sheet isn't big (2.5mb). There are no links to other spreadsheets.

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Unfortunately can't be certain without seeing the actual sheet. From my experience, I've had this happen in resource-heavy workbooks, where Excel is struggling to refresh and save. Recently had an issue where auto-save feature (with some user intervention I'm sure) had resulted in about 10,000 linked images being created on one sheet. The workbook wasn't big (about 5MB), but doing anything on the sheet resulted in a 20 second delay. In short, any other delays on your workbook while entering/modifying data?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately can't be certain without seeing the actual sheet. From my experience, I've had this happen in resource-heavy workbooks, where Excel is struggling to refresh and save. Recently had an issue where auto-save feature (with some user intervention I'm sure) had resulted in about 10,000 linked images being created on one sheet. The workbook wasn't big (about 5MB), but doing anything on the sheet resulted in a 20 second delay. In short, any other delays on your workbook while entering/modifying data?
No other delays. Certainly nothing noticeable. Just adding rows and columns

Upvote 0
Run the following macro when that sheet is active:

VBA Code:
Sub TestExcelLastAddresses()
'
    Dim LastRow             As Long
    Dim ExpectedLastCell    As String, ExcelReportedLastCell    As String

LastRow = Cells.Find(What:="*", SearchOrder:=xlRows, _
            SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, LookIn:=xlFormulas).Row                        ' Save Last used row
    ExpectedLastCell = "$" & Split(Cells(1, (Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, _
                    , xlByColumns, xlPrevious).Column)).Address, "$")(1) & LastRow      ' Save ExpectedLastCell
    ExcelReportedLastCell = Cells.SpecialCells(xlLastCell).Address(0, 1)                ' Save Ctrl+End equivalent to ExcelReportedLastCell
'
    Debug.Print ExpectedLastCell                                                        ' Display result to 'Immediate' window ... CTRL+G in VBE
    Debug.Print ExcelReportedLastCell                                                   ' Display result to 'Immediate' window ... CTRL+G in VBE
'
    MsgBox "The Expected last cell address = " & ExpectedLastCell & vbCrLf & _
            "The Excel Reported last cell address = " & ExcelReportedLastCell           ' Display results to a message box
End Sub

Report the results back here.

Upvote 0
Run the following macro when that sheet is active:

VBA Code:
Sub TestExcelLastAddresses()
'
    Dim LastRow             As Long
    Dim ExpectedLastCell    As String, ExcelReportedLastCell    As String

LastRow = Cells.Find(What:="*", SearchOrder:=xlRows, _
            SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, LookIn:=xlFormulas).Row                        ' Save Last used row
    ExpectedLastCell = "$" & Split(Cells(1, (Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, _
                    , xlByColumns, xlPrevious).Column)).Address, "$")(1) & LastRow      ' Save ExpectedLastCell
    ExcelReportedLastCell = Cells.SpecialCells(xlLastCell).Address(0, 1)                ' Save Ctrl+End equivalent to ExcelReportedLastCell
'
    Debug.Print ExpectedLastCell                                                        ' Display result to 'Immediate' window ... CTRL+G in VBE
    Debug.Print ExcelReportedLastCell                                                   ' Display result to 'Immediate' window ... CTRL+G in VBE
'
    MsgBox "The Expected last cell address = " & ExpectedLastCell & vbCrLf & _
            "The Excel Reported last cell address = " & ExcelReportedLastCell           ' Display results to a message box
End Sub

Report the results back here.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-02 091826.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-02 091826.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0
That means that excel is seeing about twice the amount of rows of data that you have and some extra columns as well.

You should try deleting those extra columns and rows and then save the workbook.

Upvote 0
The macro is now telling me that the expected end cell matches the reported end cell.......... but the problem persists.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-03 090149 Stock Projection Doc.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-03 090149 Stock Projection Doc.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
The macro is now telling me that the expected end cell matches the reported end cell.......... but the problem persists.

Any ideas?
I think I might have gotten to the bottom of this. I have just deleted all "Autoshapes" and the doc seems to be working fine now.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back