Problem creating with unique records advanced filter

sokolum

Hello all,

(WindowsXPsp3, Excel2003)

It seems that there something i am not aware of, or the function isn't working properly.
When i use 'advanced filter' to copy unique records to another column, i still get some duplicated values. What goes wrong here?

Ofcourse, the values are duplicates, copied and past the cells, value = test

(trying to attach the file)

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Are you trying to copy more than one column of data? Records must be entirely unique ie in combination of each column.

Alternatively, if just a single column, do you perhaps have leading/trailing spaces which may prevent otherwise duplicate records from being filtered out?

Upvote 0
Maybe you have a situation where you have a duplicate entry except one of the duplicates has a trailing space at the end of the text. It may "look" like the two entries are duplicates, but in fact they are different because of the space at the end of one of them that you cant see.

Upvote 0
Here is an example what happens:
(i cant find no option to attach file)

A = the duplicates
B = after i used the advanced filter

<table x:str="" style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 146pt;" width="194" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><col style="width: 48pt;" width="64"> <col style="width: 46pt;" width="61"> <col style="width: 52pt;" width="69"> <tbody><tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl24" style="height: 12.75pt; width: 48pt;" width="64" height="17">
</td> <td class="xl24" style="width: 46pt;" width="61">A</td> <td class="xl24" style="width: 52pt;" width="69">B</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl24" style="height: 12.75pt;" x:num="" height="17">1</td> <td>test</td> <td>test</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl24" style="height: 12.75pt;" x:num="" height="17">2</td> <td>test</td> <td>test</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl24" style="height: 12.75pt;" x:num="" height="17">3</td> <td>aaa</td> <td>aaa</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl24" style="height: 12.75pt;" x:num="" height="17">4</td> <td>aaa</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl24" style="height: 12.75pt;" x:num="" height="17">5</td> <td>test</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl24" style="height: 12.75pt;" x:num="" height="17">6</td> <td>test</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl24" style="height: 12.75pt;" x:num="" height="17">7</td> <td>test</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl24" style="height: 12.75pt;" x:num="" height="17">8</td> <td>test</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl24" style="height: 12.75pt;" x:num="" height="17">9</td> <td>test</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl24" style="height: 12.75pt;" x:num="" height="17">10</td> <td>test</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl24" style="height: 12.75pt;" x:num="" height="17">11</td> <td>test</td> <td>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's because the data you are trying to filter must have a header row - in the case you highlight cell A1 is acting as your header row. Just make sure you have a genuine header then you will realise it isn't actually a duplicate.

Upvote 0
That's because the data you are trying to filter must have a header row - in the case you highlight cell A1 is acting as your header row. Just make sure you have a genuine header then you will realise it isn't actually a duplicate.

Well thank you! I was already confused by results of it.

Upvote 0
Hopefully this explains it better:
Excel Workbook
ABCD
1What you have:What Excel sees:results of Unique Filter
2Test===Header row (ie not part of data to be filtered)Test===header!!!
3Test=dataTest=unique data
4Test=dataSummat Else=unique data
5Summat Else=data
6Test=data
7Summat Else=data
8Test=data
12Try it again but with explicit header:
13This is my header===Header row (ie not part of data to be filtered)This is my header===header!!!
14Test=dataTest=unique data
15Test=dataSummat Else=unique data
16Test=data
17Summat Else=data
18Test=data
19Summat Else=data
20Test=data
Sheet1
Excel 2002

Upvote 0
Hopefully this explains it better:

Your 1st explanation was already fully understandable.
But nevertheless it's interesting to know how this function works in more detail, ty.

I just have to take this in consideration, not a real problem in my calculation when it takes the 1st cell too. But now i understand why it didn't worked when the 1st cell had no any value. Advanced Filter needs to get the first cell.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back