Problem: Excel Printts Extra Blank Pages!

vmottert

Board Regular
I have written some Excel files that serve as manuals for some Excel-based software. The files are between 3 and 11 pages, stacked vertically, and have inserted screenshot .jpeg files and explanatory text. The text is in three columns; A, C and E. Columns B and D are narrow columns to separate the text columns. I am working on a PC (Win XP Home, Office 2000).

My problem is that – if I don’t specify a print range – Excel wants to print an extra set of blank pages to the right of the intended pages. I can prevent this on PCs by specifying a print range. However, if I send the files to a Mac OS X user, the extra column of pages will print, even if there is a print range.

I know that if any text or image extends into column F, that would cause Excel to print the extra column of pages. And I have been working to make sure that this is not the problem. Still, if I clear the print range, the extra pages are there in Page Break Preview mode. And I can’t seem to find whatever is causing them. I have print-previewed the extra pages and they are blank.

Has anyone had this problem? And can someone suggest a way to find the offending text or images?

Regards,

Vernon

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Select a load of empty columns just to the right of your used columns, say F to Z. Then delete them. Make sure you delete them and don't just clear the contents out.

Hopefully that will do the trick.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Agent Smith. I should have mentioned that I have already done that.

Also, I have previewed the extra column of pages in each file looking for text or images that intrude into column F, correcting any that are visible. Then I continued to edit the text in column E to make sure that no text even gets close to Column F.

I have a vague memory of a post on this board for a macro that would scrub a spreadsheet to get rid of unnecessary "stuff". Can anyone remember what that was and might that do it for me?

Regards,

Vernon

Upvote 0
Fair enough. Some more thoughts:
- Maybe you've got something that's zero width or height sitting on there?
- Or perhaps a hidden row or column?
- Any merged cells?

Another idea is to try selecting columns A to E and copying them into a blank workbook. See if that does it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back