Problem sorting cells with hyperlinks

cottonchipper

I'm using Excel to maintain an index of topics in a magazine, using 4 columns of information (topic, issue number, page numbers, sort key).

As I add the information for more issues of the magazine, I re-sort the lines, first by topic and then by sort key, which is just the issue number of the magazine. Once this is done, I copy and paste the range containing the first three columns of information into a web page.

I want to link some of the cells to magazine articles that are available online, but when I re-sort the lines, the hyperlinks seem to get mixed up. Some cells that had hyperlinks before the sort don't have them after the sort, and some that didn't have hyperlinks before the sort do afterwards.

Anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Some entire issues of the magazine are online as one pdf file, so I will want to link a whole string of cells to the same location. I've been doing this by hyperlinking one cell and then copying and pasting that cell. Is this causing my problem? Do I have to highlight and insert the hyperlink to each cell individually?

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
What seems to be happening is that the hyperlink stays on the same line, even after the sort. For example, if I create a hyperlink in cell A312 and then perform a sort, the information in A312 may be moved to A125, but the hyperlink stays in cell A312 and A125 doesn't have a hyperlink.

Upvote 0
Okay, I think I figured it out. Instead of inserting a hyperlink into the cell, I need to be using the =hyperlink() function.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back