Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2013
  3. 2010
  4. 2007
  5. 2003 or older
Platform
  1. Windows
Every time an entry is made on the worksheet "Geometry" the macro Every_Update runs

This is how the command is written in the Workbook_Open() event

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Worksheets("Geometry").OnEntry = "Every_Update"
End Sub

This has worked well for years as Every_Update runs with every worksheet entry

I am trying to add a drop down selection onto the worksheet Geometry. There are 4 selections in the drop down list, A, B, C and D

When selecting from the drop down list, say "B" the macro Every_Update does not run. I suspect this is because when selecting from the drop down list, the entry key is not pressed on the computer keyboard and hence "Every_Update" does not run.
It is important to run Every_Update because the options A to D are intended to change formatting and formula entries in 3 or 4 cells in the worksheet Geometry. The formatting does not happen after the drop down list item is selected because enter is not pressed.

I want Every Update to run once the drop down list item is selected.

To do this in the worksheet module Geometry, i added the following code

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Every_Update
End Sub

This has proven to be a problem because it seems to get into an endless loop of updates
I assume that Every update runs as a result of the sub.workbook().open command and it also runs as a result of the worksheet module. It becomes an endless loop

I have two questions:
1) Is the best way to resolve this by keeping the sub workbook.open() approach and remove the worksheet coding? If i do this, how can i get the drop down list once selected to do an entry to run every update

2) Is it better to remove the sub workbook.open() function and leave the worksheet event ?

or is there another solution to prevent an endless loop

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Need to get the code in your "Every_Update" event, into the worksheet_change event.
Please post Every_Update code.
In which cell(s) is/are your drop-down list(s)?
Name of worksheet?

Upvote 0
Drop down list box is in a merged cell worksheet Geometry cell C:15-I:15

Every_update is extremely long and has many calls off of it
I am appending it here for ease

Option Private Module

Sub Every_Update()

'************************************************************************************************************
' This macro is intended to run with every update of the worksheet that changes geometry or plotting
'************************************************************************************************************

On Error Resume Next

' code removed here that has nothing to do with geometry worksheet

'Decide what other subroutines to call based on the type of gear being calculated

Call x_axis1
Call x_axis2
'Call x_axis3
Call Diagnostics

End Sub

In the above routine the macros
x_axis1
x_axis2
x_axis3

will make changes to the geometry worksheet
before adding the drop down list onto the sheet, Every Update ran in about half a second but x_axis 1,2 and 3 were not part of the code

in testing it, if i disable the every update in the excel object sheet, but leave every_update otherwise unchanged including x_axis 1, 2 and 3, , the macro runs in about half a second
the problem is how do i get the macro to run once not only by a worksheet entry but also through the drop down list selection

Upvote 0
Can't you just do what you suggested - in the worksheet_change event, but test for the drop-down merged cell, and if that's not the changed cell then come out of the procedure?
That way, it shouldn't keep firing Every_Update, each time any other cell changes:

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Intersect(Target, Range("C15")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Every_Update

End Sub
... I'm guessing that your merged cell's address is C15, but of course, change to suit.

Upvote 0
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Intersect(Target, Range("C15")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Every_Update End Sub
That worked
thank you so much

Upvote 0
Pleasure. Glad it worked for you, and thanks for the feedback. (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back