Problem using a calculated date field in parameter query

toveyj

Hi

I have a SQL table with a Datetime format field in it (create_date). I have linked to this table in Access and created a query which includes a field that is the date only part of this field. I want the date only as the output which is then exported to EXCEL. It uses this formula to convert it as some records are NULL.

Created_dt: IIf(Not IsDate([create_date]),Null,Int([create_date]))

I then use this query (with the Created_dt field in it) in another query with a parameter to select the end of the date range that I want to select.

WHERE dbo.Created_dt Between #4/1/2015# And [End Date];

When the parameter for [End Date] is filled in the query only returns records for each month where the day is <= the day entered in the parameter. So for instance if I type in 06/08/2016 I will only get records for every month from 1st to 6th of the month. None of the rows where the Created_dt is 7th-31st for any month are selected. However, if I remove the parameter and put in an actual end date of 06/08/2016 then all the records from 7th-31st for other months are returned!

Any ideas how I can retain the parameter and overcome this problem? I am guessing it may be something to do with using 'Int' to convert the dates so is there a better way to convert them that won't cause this problem? I can't change the format of the data on SQL server as it isn't controlled by me.

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
In the parameter try typing the date in full rather than in 2 digit format.

Upvote 0
As suggested try using full date, 06 August 2016 based on your example.

Upvote 0
Interestingly that only returns records for each month up to 5th rather than 6th of each month. So slightly worse!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not sure what you are asking there. It is originally from a SQL table so stored in the format
yyyy-mm-dd in that table. If I manually put the date into the query in the design grid as
dd/mm/yyyy it automatically transforms that to US format in the SQL and that returns the
correct results. No idea what Access is doing to what I put in as a parameter though when
it translates that into SQL.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back