Problem using getopenfilename

adam3478

I've been having a problem using the getopenfilename function and would be very grateful if someone could help me please, here's the situation:

I have two workbooks:

Summary.xlsx - a comparison of day-to-day sales based on data pulled from import.xls
Code:
Summary
Product code 1-Nov 2-Nov 3-Nov 4-Nov
a       001  34    54    45    
d       004  55    54    76    
e       005  82    99    87
Import.xls - an automatically generated report from our system
Code:
November 4th Data
Col A   Col B    Col K
Product code ... Sales
a       001  ... 44
b       002  ... 74
c       003  ... 21
d       004  ... 73
e       005  ... 86
f       006  ... 74
I want to be able to click a button and the user will get a browse for file dialog box, they then select the file (Import.xls) and excel runs an index/match formula to pull the relevant data from the selected file and puts it in the selected (At the moment you need to have the top cell in the colum selected) column.

I currently have the following:

Code:
Private Sub Import_Click()

Dim importFile As Variant
    Dim importRange As String
    Dim formula As String

importFile = Application.GetOpenFilename(Title:="Please Select a File", MultiSelect:=False)

importRange = Cells(ActiveCell.Row, ActiveCell.Column).Address(False, False) & ":" & Cells(Application.WorksheetFunction.CountA(ActiveSheet.Range("B2:B10000")) + 1, ActiveCell.Column).Address(False, False)
    formula = "=INDEX(" & importFile & "!C11,MATCH(RC2," & importFile & "!C2,0))"

ActiveSheet.Range(importRange).FormulaR1C1 = formula
    ActiveSheet.Range(importRange).Select
    Selection.Value = Selection.Value

End Sub

When I run this I get the first browse box as expected, select the file but then get another browse box with the title "Update Values:Import.xls" After selecting the file again I get the following formula in the cells:

=INDEX(F:F:\Users\Adam\Desktop\day-to-day 'C:\Users\Adam\Desktop\day-to-day test\test\[Import.xlsx]Import'!$K:$K,MATCH($B3,F:F:\Users\Adam\Desktop\day-to-day 'C:\Users\Adam\Desktop\day-to-day test\test\[Import.xlsx]Import'!$B:$B,0))

What I want is:

=INDEX('C:\Users\Adam\Desktop\day-to-day test\test\[Import.xlsx]Import'!$K:$K,MATCH($B3,'C:\Users\Adam\Desktop\day-to-day test\test\[Import.xlsx]Import'!$B:$B,0))

A few notes:

The above formula works correctly

If I remove the = from the start of the formula and print the rest as a string it is correct

The way I select the range works but I don't think it's the most efficient way, as I've only started working with VBA yesterday I'm not very familiar with all of it's functions!

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Hello Adam and welcome to MrExcel.

I will try to help you but I don't understand what you want. Please can you you to explain in English words without the code.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Every day I get an automatically generated report from our website with daily sales data. I want to extract one column from this report (A specific type of sales) for only some of the rows (products).

The file I'm importing the data into has product names in column A and a unique product code in column B for the products I'm interested in, I want column C onwards to be each days sales data.

Because someone with very limited excel knowledge will be using this I want them to click a button, select the previous days report and then have the info appear. They can then go to another sheet where they can see the analysis of it.

Sorry for the confusing post previously, I wasn't sure how best to present it etc...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back