Problem with blank values in control/check table

Benjaminmin

Board Regular
Hi,

I am building a table for staffing purposes, and I basically only need to controls to "validate"/approve the table.

1. The number of staff put in must equal the required amount of staff (E column)
2. The same staff cannot be put on twice for the same time period (which I have done by the OR(F7=G7,F7=H7,G7=H7) as part of the validation)

My problem is that sometimes I need 0 staff (when its closed), but when I leave it blank obviously it wont approve the table because of rule #2 above, since it thinks the blanks are the same staff member.

I have tried with some ISBLANK statements, but it wont work.

gUKUSan.png

Any input is highly appreciated!

Thanks

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
In cell I7, try: =IF(OR(COUNTIF(F7:H7,"*")<>E7,AND(E7>0,F7=G7,F7=H7, G7=H7)),"Fail","Ok")

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your answer.

That certainly solves the problem about the blank cells, but it doesnt seem to pick up an error if I have the same name twice for some reason.

Best

Upvote 0
Hi Again,

I modified my string to: =IF(AND(E7=0,COUNTIF(F7:H7,"*")=0),"OK",IF(OR(COUNTIF(F7:H7,"*")<>E7,F7=G7,F7=H7,G7=H7),"FEJL","OK"))

That solves the problem about the blank cells, and checks for same name twice. HOWEVER, for some reason I can't figure out, it does not work when the staffing count is set to 1 i.e. if it is set to one and I put one name, it still returns "fail".

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks for you help

Upvote 0
Sorry for the multi-posting, I managed to solve it now, with the following (very messy) code:

=IF(AND(E7=0,COUNTIF(F7:H7,"*")=0),"OK",IF(AND(E7=1,COUNTIF(F7:H7,"*")=1),"OK",IF(OR(COUNTIF(F7:H7,"*")<>E7,F7=G7,F7=H7,G7=H7),"FEJL","OK")))

If anyone has a nicer/cleaner way to do this I am still very interested in seeing it :)

Thanks anyway

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spenstar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back