Problem with formulas in linked workbooks

SusanSW

At my job we use a complex workbook with multiple worksheet tabs for managing budgets. We want to create a separate, but linked, workbook showing data from only some of the budgets that will update whenever the parent workbook is updated. (I'm using Excel 2007 for PC.)

I understand the basics of linking the workbooks. The problem I'm having is in setting up formulas in the "child" workbook. The data is listed in columns by month. So what I tried to do was set up a formula in the child workbook where the result came from the June column of the parent workbook. I then tried to copy the formula by dragging the cell (using the bottom right corner "plus sign" cursor, which I know has some name I learned years ago and forgot) across the range for the full time period.

When I do this within a single workbook, even when the data is coming from a different worksheet, Excel updates the formula so the target July cell pulls data from one cell to the right of the June cell and so on. But when I did the same thing from one workbook to another, the dragging formula copy just recreated the IDENTICAL formula--i.e. all the cells showed B6 from the parent workbook instead of B6, C6, D6, and so on.

Is there a way to make this work that doesn't involve laboriously creating each formula on a cell-by-cell basis?

Thanks,
Susan

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Welcome to MrExcel.

You need to remove the $ signs before the column and row references in the formula you want to copy.

Upvote 0
Susan welcome to the board.

Here is an example of formula using count from one workbook to another, then I have edit the formula to remove the Dollar sign before the row number and it fills as I need it to.

It maybe useful to show a sample of your formula in your thread

=COUNT([Book1]Sheet1!$B$1:$B$18)

After
=COUNT([Book1]Sheet1!$B1:$B18)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back