Problem with freeze panes

Haui

Board Regular
Hi, I am using Office 365 and am looking for a solution or what's the cause for the following:

On a new spreadsheet, let's say I freeze panes in cell C3.
Normally Ctrl+Home should get you to cell A1 or, in case freeze panes is activated, the the first cell of the unfrozen area, here C3.
Ctrl+End gets you to the last used cell. Since I created a new workbook, Ctrl+End would jump to no specific cell.

However, in my case, Ctrl+End oddly (with frozen panes still on) jumps to cell A1.

This is most certainly not normal behaviour and it also creates additional scrolling issues for me with frozen panes on.
E.g. when scrolling vertically or horizontally with the keyboard, the spreadsheet does indeed scroll, but the active cell always snaps back to the frozen areas (to the left frozen part in case of horizontal scrolling and to the top frozen part in case of vertical scrolling).

Does anybody know which Excel, windows or other settings may cause this issue or how to fix it?

I deactivated all add-ins, tried excel in safe mode, so far no luck and I am out of ideas where to search for the root of this behaviour.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
However, in my case, Ctrl+End oddly (with frozen panes still on) jumps to cell A1.
Is there anything in the new sheet?

Ctrl End will jump to A1 on an empty sheet regardless of the freeze point.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response. Yes, it is a new sheet, so I get your point.

Unfortunately the second part of the problem still remains when scrolling with the keyboard that the active cell snaps back to the frozen area.
Would you also have any idea on that?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Scrolling the screen does not change the active cell. Unless you select a cell that is visible on the screen after scrolling, any action that affects the active cell will return you to the active cell.

That is, and always has been how excel works.

Upvote 0
Unless you scroll with the keyboard, right? Maybe scrolling is not the right term here.

When I scroll the screen (with freeze panes on), the active cell changes for me.
This only happens when scrolling with the keyboard, PgDn, Alt+PgDn etc.
The active cell snaps back to the frozen area.

I assume this problem will be hard to replicate for anybody else thant then me which tells me something is wrong:
- New workbook, freeze cell D5 (= active cell); I can scroll with the keyboard horizontally and vertically correctly here, e.g. scrolling (rather moving?) one page to the right, the active cell changes to cell AN5 in my screen resolution/zoom. Home gets me e.g. back to cell D5.
- The problem: If I enter any of the frozen areas (columns A:C or or rows 1:4) and then go back to cell D5 and repeat the same scrolling as described above, the following happens for me:
- pressing PgDn does scroll down one page but the active cell jumps to cell D1
- pressing Alt+PgDn does scroll one page to the right but the active cell jumps to cell A5

If I reset the freeze panes, it works again correctly but only until I enter again the frozen area.
It's just not normal behaviour and I cannot guess what may be causing this (windows 10 settings, office 365, multiple screens, keyboard settings?).

Thanks

Upvote 0
Now I see what you mean. When you said scrolling, I missed that you had said keyboard in post 1 until I just read it again and had assumed mouse wheel or equivalent (which would behave in the way that I said).

I've tried the same thing on a new sheet and get no problems with it jumping around as you say.
(windows 10 settings, office 365, multiple screens, keyboard settings?).
I can't think of anything in any of the settings that would cause it, at least not with a new workbook.

You could try disabling all but your primary display, although I don't think it will be the cause.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately no luck either. Even without external displays connected, i.e. just on the laptop itself, the problem occurs.

The thing that's so strange to me, is that the activel cell 'snaps' to the first row or column only when freeze panes are activated; when it's off, moving with the keyboard behaves normally.
This led me to believe that it's more likely an Excel bug/option etc. But as nobody else seems to be able to replicate the issue?

Is there a way to reset all excel options to its default state?

Upvote 0
just FYI I just deleted the registry entry with all Excel settings made via its options and still no luck unfortunately.

In any case: thanks for your efforts @jasonb75

Upvote 0
It wouldn't be an option anyway, there are some that are a bit unusual but none that obscure.

The only things that I can think of that would cause it would be either a selection change event in vba (eliminated by the fact that it happens with a new clean workbook that would not have any vba) or an installation issue, either with excel or the operating system.

Sometimes strange things can happen with other applications open / running in the background, with recent installations being the most likely culprits, but as you have tested in safe mode, again this would be an unlikely cause.

Beyond that there is nothing else that comes to mind that might even remotely be useful in diagnosing the problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeymonster123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back