Problem with VLOOKUP query

dpbarry

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Folks..

I have a spreadsheet with 121 Pupil Names (in format Surname, Forename) (Column A - sorted alphabetically) and Previous School (Column B).

I have another couple of columns that assist in generating a randomised list of the 121 names and put it in Column E.

All works so far up to this point in that the names are all jumbled up

The teacher then asked me if I could also put the previous school into another Column (F) beside the randomised names so I thought I'd use VLOOKUP and I thought I had it working as it was putting the previous school names in BUT, when I studied closed, some of the school names were correct but some were not and I can't figure out why - probably something simple!!.

Basically I asked it to vlookup the name in the randomised cell with the list in Columns A and return the relevant value in Column B. As I say, some are correct but some aren't.

Could anyone assist in guiding me as to what I'm doing wrong.

Many thanks

Declan

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
What's the formula you are using? Are you specifying the 4th VLOOKUP argument as FALSE?

Upvote 0
What's the formula you are using? Are you specifying the 4th VLOOKUP argument as FALSE?

At moment, I've tackled it from another angle using INDEX - MATCH to see how that works. Teacher just checking the values.

It didn't matter whether I included false or left it out, same results.

Is it still possible to post a snippit of my spreadsheet?

Declan

Upvote 0
You can post tables using the usual tools, but it could help if you started by posting the formula you are using. ;) VLOOKUP and INDEX/MATCH will not return different results for the same inputs, assuming they are set up the same.

Upvote 0
Cheers Rory.

I'll modify the data I will post. Just for Data Protection Act purposes. INDEX:MATCH didn't work.

Declan

Upvote 0
Hi Rory.

The equation I'm using is: =VLOOKUP(G2,$A$2:$D$121,4)

G2 = Value

$A$2:$D$121 = List

4 = column info I wish to return

Declan

QUOTE=RoryA;5087463]You can post tables using the usual tools, but it could help if you started by posting the formula you are using. ;) VLOOKUP and INDEX/MATCH will not return different results for the same inputs, assuming they are set up the same.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
Use:

=VLOOKUP(G2,$A$2:$D$121,4,FALSE)

If you get #N/A errors back, then you know that your lookup values don't match the original table for some reason.

Upvote 0
All coming back with data but for some reason when I manually compare what it has brought back with what the actual value should be, it's different. Not for all, just the odd couple.

Strange!!

Use:

=VLOOKUP(G2,$A$2:$D$121,4,FALSE)

If you get #N/A errors back, then you know that your lookup values don't match the original table for some reason.

Upvote 0
Can you give me an actual example? The only possible ways I could see that happening would be if you have duplicate values in the lookup table, or if your lookup values contain wildcard characters like * or ?

Upvote 0
I'm sorting down through the speadsheet to post an example with an area where the data is wrong. As soon as I get it done, I'll post it.

Many thanks for your patience!!

Declan[

QUOTE=RoryA;5087626]Can you give me an actual example? The only possible ways I could see that happening would be if you have duplicate values in the lookup table, or if your lookup values contain wildcard characters like * or ?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back