Problem with VLOOKUP

Pauljj

I am hoping for some help here please

In Cell E8 (Which has been named as 'Operator) I have entered the following formula

VLOOKUP(Direct,C:\My Documents\[Proct excel set up.xls]\Sheet1!\Operators,0,1)

My Table is on another workbook called 'Proct excel set up'
The Table range is called 'Operators'

The first cell in my table range has the word 'Direct' in the cell

In data validation, I have set this up for List and in the source I have put the named range of my cell E8....operator

and I simply cant get the formula to work, can anyone see my obvious mistake ???

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Your formula doesn't look right. What happens when you try to enter it? By the way, I'd generate a formula reference to an external book by having the book open and using navigation to generate the formula ( that way you just can't make spelling mistakes )

Upvote 0
Hi Glen

Well I might be missing something but how am I able to navigate to another workbook, I have tried it by opening it up but doesnt do a thing.

When I enter the formula it says i have entered an incorrect formula, highlighting part of the file path? Any ideas

Upvote 0
Hi Paul,

have the other workbook open before you start, and when you are creating the formula, after you've typed =VLOOKUP(Direct, then click on the menu command Window and activate the other workbook and select the required range before continuing your formula.

Upvote 0
VLOOKUP(Direct,C:\My Documents\[Proct excel set up.xls]\Sheet1!\Operators,0,1)

OK, a few comments:

1] If your target is a Name called Direct, fine; but if you want to look up the literal string "Direct", you need to put it in quotes.

2] Your workbook reference needs single quotes positioned as: 'C:\My Documents\[Proct excel set up.xls]\Sheet1'!\Operators,0,1)

3] Get rid of the slash prior to Operators

4] The 3rd argument to VLOOKUP must be a positive integer not larger that the number of columns in the 2nd argument, and not smaller than 1. Zero won't cut it.

5] A 4th argument of 1 requires the data in Operators to be sorted ascending and will return approximate matches if no exact match is found.

EDIT Not sure how Data Validation fits in ...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluedbw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back