Problems converting date to text

mtterry

I have a date stored in a variable: invDate (mm/dd/yyyy). As part of my sub I need to convert it to text in the format "yyyy-mm-dd". I've seen several solutions on this board, but for some reason they aren't working for me:

expItemDate = VBA.Format(CStr(invDate), "yyyy-mm-dd") - doesn't work, it returns a date in the original mm/dd/yyyy formatexpItemDate = VBA.Format(invDate, "yyyy-mm-dd") - doesn't work either, same thing it returns mm/dd/yyyy format

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
I have a date stored in a variable: invDate (mm/dd/yyyy). As part of my sub I need to convert it to text in the format "yyyy-mm-dd". I've seen several solutions on this board, but for some reason they aren't working for me:

expItemDate = VBA.Format(CStr(invDate), "yyyy-mm-dd") - doesn't work, it returns a date in the original mm/dd/yyyy formatexpItemDate = VBA.Format(invDate, "yyyy-mm-dd") - doesn't work either, same thing it returns mm/dd/yyyy format

Why are you converting the date to a text string inside the Format function (in order to apply the "yyyy-mm-dd" date pattern, the first argument to the Format function needs to be a real date)? Try it this way...

expItemDate = Format(invDate, "yyyy-mm-dd")

Upvote 0
Why are you converting the date to a text string inside the Format function (in order to apply the "yyyy-mm-dd" date pattern, the first argument to the Format function needs to be a real date)? Try it this way...

expItemDate = Format(invDate, "yyyy-mm-dd")

What you posted was actually the first thing I tried. I used the CStr because because it didn't work. I just tried again and your suggestion is yielding the same result, a date in mm/dd/yyyy format.

Upvote 0
What you posted was actually the first thing I tried. I used the CStr because because it didn't work. I just tried again and your suggestion is yielding the same result, a date in mm/dd/yyyy format.
Then your "date" is not a real recognizable date. How is the invDate variable being assigned its value and what is the value just before the Format statement receives it?

Upvote 0
Ok - below is the code (a portion) that assigns the value to invDate - it's from a textbox in a userform

If invDateTextBox <> "" Then
If IsDate(invDateTextBox.Value) Then
invDate = VBA.Format(CDate(invDateTextBox.Value), "mm/dd/yyyy")
Else

Upvote 0
Provide a sample input date that isn't working as expected. Also you should provide the Else code (what happens if the input is not a date?)

Upvote 0
Okay, the current date I'm using is 8/1/2019, below is the full code I have in the user form to set invDate:

If invDateTextBox <> "" Then
If IsDate(invDateTextBox.Value) Then
invDate = VBA.Format(CDate(invDateTextBox.Value), "mm/dd/yyyy")
Else
MsgBox "Please enter a valid invoice date to proceed."
Exit Sub
End If
Else
MsgBox "Please enter an invoice date to proceed."
Exit Sub
End If

I do want invDate to be a date in the format 8/1/2019, so that's ok. What I'm struggling to do is set the value of another variable to the string value "2019-08-01".

Upvote 0
your code is working fine for me.

Steps I took to recreate the problem:

• create a new userform with a textbox and a button
  • in the button added code below
  • entered 8/1/2019 in the textbox and hit the button

Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    MsgBox VBA.Format(CDate(Me.TextBox1.Value), "yyyy-mm-dd")
End Sub

Edit:
Here's a little more code to get a date and a formatted date in variables:
Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

Dim invDate As Date
Dim invDateString As String

If IsDate(Me.TextBox1.Value) Then
        invDate = CDate(Me.TextBox1.Value)
        invDateString = Format(invDate, "yyyy-mm-dd")
        MsgBox invDate
        MsgBox invDateString
    Else
        MsgBox ("Please enter a valid date in TextBox1")
    End If

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tish101

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back