Problems creating my dynamic list from a range not on the top row of the sheet

MurphDog

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
My goal is to get to a point where I have created my own debt snowball / avalanche calculator that I can place in my own workbook. Sure I could use an excellent debt reduction calculator I found on the internet, but to send data to it and pull data from it is a pain. It would be better if I could just do it all in the same document.

Step 1 of my goal is that I'm working on is pulling the only debts with a balance from one range and creating a new table. The range has 10 rows, plus the header.

So during my googling, I found a short video tutorial with this working formula....

=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$26,SMALL(IF($B$2:$B$26=$K$1,ROW($A$2:$A$26)),ROW(1:1))-1,1),"")

I created an identical formula in the same sample document, with my test data and it works, where A2 is the start of the range

=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$11,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$F$2:$F$11=$H$13,ROW(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$11)),ROW(Sheet1!1:1))-1,1),"")

But as soon as I move the range to where it is actually located (F6), the results are not accurate

=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$F$6:$F$15,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$L$6:$L$15=$H$13,ROW(Sheet1!$F$6:$F$15)),ROW(Sheet1!1:1))-1,1),"")

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the ROW portion of the formula but I've never used that before and don't really understand the need for it.

Please advise.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Change the -1 to -5

Think of it as an offset from your starting row. So if you start at row 6, then use -5 to return the first match

=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$F$6:$F$15,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$L$6:$L$15=$H$13,ROW(Sheet1!$F$6:$F$15)),ROW(Sheet1!1:1))-5,1),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back