Problems to round off

Dawei

Hi,

I've got a problem. I have a cell that is called "Number of containers", this cell affects my "Freight costs" and several other cells. I want this cell to never contain decimals, I have used the format menu and changed the number of decimals shown but that does not affect the number itself. It still uses decimals when calculated. I want this cell to use no decimals and also to always be rounded off downwards (since there can never be more than a certain number of items in a container). Can I use the ROUNDDOWN function?

How do I do this?

Thankful for any help!

David

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Use the "Validation" function in the "Data" Menu. This will allow you to only accept whole numbers in the cell.

Upvote 0
Hi Tactps,

I have tried that aswell, but the cell still uses decimals when its calculated with.

But thank you anyway.

Dave

Upvote 0
To me this isn't clear, first you said you didn't want decimal numbers in the cell, but in the last post it sounds like you do. Which one is it?

Upvote 0
Hi hotpepper,

I do not want any decimals. (My last post wanted to say that even though I used the validation menu to take away the decimals the cell still uses decimals when I use it in calculations).

Thank you

Dave

Upvote 0
Sorry, just to be clear. The cell you are putting the value in doesn't contain decimals, but a different cell that you have a formula in does.

If this is correct, then how about:
=INT(your formula)

Upvote 0
No worries, I didn't mean to come out as harsh.. Sorry about that.

This is how it looks like right now.

=INT(D6/D16)

Where D6 is the number of units in the order and D16 is the number of units in one container.

The function you gave me helped but I also need to make sure the cell is always rounding off downwards (since I cannot send 1.5 or 0.5 containers).

Thank you again Hotpepper.

Dave

Upvote 0
Oh..yes you're right! But I need to round up..sorry 'bout that..I seem to be all confused today!

So can I make INT to round up?

David

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back