Problems with ranking by multiple criteria

55damen

Hi all,

I am having problems ranking a group of students by multiple criteria. The rank I am trying to do should be sorted by their overall result (column BK) and then by their name (column N) in case of ties.

The rank generally works well, but at low percentage results students with no overall result are ranked ahead of those with a low percentage results.

I doubt the actual value is significant but what I mean is the student with 35.72% overall is ranked 47, then ranked 48 and 49 are two students with no result in that column (so a blank cell), and then ranked 50th is a student with 34.67%. I would like the students with no result ranked lower than any student with a score.

The formula I am using to rank is
=IF(N4="zzz", 0, COUNTIF($BK$4:$BK$194, ">"&$BK4)+COUNTIFS($BK$4:$BK$194, $BK4, $N$4:$N$194, ">"&$N4)+1)

The "zzz" automatically gives a rank of 0 to the excess students in the class results pages.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm at a loss how to fix it.

I suggest that you share a sample of your data so we can test the formulas in your environment...

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back