Production planning - semi automated

Tomcma

I would like to replace the manually replenished production plan with (semi) automatic planning
production plan is in (working) days
the production process has 7 stages one after the other
two stages: forging and grinding can overlap, i.e. the last day of forging can be the 1st day of grinding
each stage has a limited number of positions
for each project the length of the stages may be different
it must be possible to delay the start of the entire task or one of the stages, also for already started tasks (then the released resources should be used by other tasks)

information provided at the start:
duration of individual stages
start date (if there is no date, it should start as soon as resources are available, otherwise it will start looking for available resources after the provided sart date)

This is desired look/outcome

dGTSqcP.png

At the moment I calculate each step separately - for every single day I have 7 cells with formulas to calculate each step progress than 1 cell to combine/collect results
Each "day/step" formula calculates:
  • if today is working day and project have "ready to start" status and previous task was completed
  • if resources are free (count "up", how many times resource was used and compare with available resources)
  • if task was already done (count "left", how many times this stage was "done")
it's something like on screen below
lgygM17.png

so calculations range of each formula is bigger than previous, for each task there's 54000 formulas (360 days * 150 tasks) - it take ages to change/calculate anything

Preferred solution should base on formulas but at the moment I would appreciate any suggestion/help how to speed up simplify the process
Thanks in advance for any help

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
This sounds like a kind of linear problem, so probably with cumulative approach to formulas you could limit range they refer to. And then 50+ k formulas would not be a big deal to excel.

Moreover, at given moment of time, you probably do not need to look at the whole year, so you could prepare smaller sheets/workbookjs may be in quarterly or even monthly basis (including last few days of previous period and simplify your calculations.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back