Professional Excel Development 2nd Edition

He did!? Well, you know what they say about great minds. :ROFLMAO:

I did - of course, I also know what they say about fools... :biggrin:
I would love to see the look on someone's face when they finish the Dummies book thinking they understand all about VBA and open PED...

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
I would love to see the look on someone's face when they finish the Dummies book thinking they understand all about VBA and open PED...

That's my order cancelled then!!! :cry:

Dom

PS Who knew Essex was in Ireland, you learn something every day!!!

Well, at least I understood some of the 'Look inside' introduction, but somehow I fear the 'For Dummies' would be a more suitable purchase...

Well, at least I understood some of the 'Look inside' introduction, but somehow I fear the 'For Dummies' would be a more suitable purchase...

Bryony,

PED, is, IMHO, flat out the best book on application development using Excel as the development platform. It is sort of one of those books that is almost a Catch-22. It tells you everything you *wish* you had known from the get-go. However, if you had never committed the design sins it tells you how to avoid, would you really appreciate it? Yes, there are those who are wise enough to go through life never having drunk to excess. But if you've prayed to the porcelain goddess at least once in your life and if you have ever seriously wondered if anyone has ever died of a hangover, then you have a much greater appreciation for moderation.

Likewise, until you've intertwined data with code, or put business logic inside your UI, you don't really understand how bad this can bite you in the ****. But once you've had to go back and re-build an entire project with a good design, you'll really understand what Rob, Stephen and John are talking about.

You might still consider trying to read it. Any newbie programmer would definitely benefit from reading the design and concept know-how that PED provides. Just don't feel bad if don't quite grasp everything they throw at you. It's hard to imagine a rookie programmer understanding and following all of that advice right out of the chute. I had to read the sections on raising custom events and on using the Implements statement a couple of times before I felt I thoroughly comprehended everything they were showing regarding those concepts.

Last edited:
Thank you Greg, for your advice. I think you have sold a copy. (Do you have shares? ;)) The more admin and filing I do the more I realise I am a frustrated programmer, and well, I ain't gettin' any younger, so if I don't work on those fledgling skills the more frustrated I will become.

Hmm. Thanks again.

Btw, I liked the analogy - one I could really relate to!

I think anyone who spends much time creating workbooks should buy the book, even if only for the worksheet design section.

Just checked my amazon account...

Items not yet shipped:
arrow_subordinate._V47081670_.gif
Delivery estimate: May 23, 2009 <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
  • 1 of: Professional Excel Development: The Definitive Guide to Developing Applications Using Microsoft Excel, VBA, and .NET (2nd Edition) (Addison-Wesley Mic
    Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Back to pacing the floor... *sigh*

Haha, from the link...

"Inside This Book...
First Sentence
Microsoft Excel is much, much more than just a spreadsheet"

Nice, thanks for that Amazon!! :LOL:
I am with Bryony on this, might be above my head a bit, gotta see if work will pay for it!!

From the cover of the first version:
"This is not a book for beginners. Writing for professional developers and true Excel experts..."
something of an understatement! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back