Program to explain excel formula?

JustJohn91

Hi Everyone,

I have been tasked with explaining what every formula, in every spreadsheet, used in my organisation does. I am looking at having to explain hundreds of thousands of formula.

Does anyone know of a program that will explain formula in any format? An example of what i'm looking for is below. It doesn't have to exactly match the sample. Anything to help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Formula:
=IF(J90>=J83,J84,H81)

Explanation:
If the value of Cell J90 is greater than or equal to the value of Cell J83 return the value of Cell J84. If the value of Cell J90 is not greater than or equal to the value of Cell J83 return the value of Cell H81.

Try and work out roughly how many different formulas you use, divide it by 2 as I assume that you are one of the higher users then multiply that by the number of formula writers in your organisation.

Once you have that number write out the explanation for 10 of your formulas (time how long it takes to write the explanations and then divide it by 10).

Multiply the 2 resulting answers together, convert to hours and present that to the powers that be as your predicted man hours to carry out the task.

Then let them decide if they really want you to spend that amount of time on this task.
Yes, when they see how much time and money they will have to commit to pay you to complete this, let's see how "gung ho" they are on having you do this!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back