Programming Hot Keys

bmv505

Office Version
  1. 365
I have a peculiar request and I am a rookie at Excel. I am a using a spreadsheet as a spotter on a football broadcast. I communicate with a play by play commentator without verbally speaking. The things I communicate include the players on the field, and those doing specific things (tackle, force fumble, etc). The job is a lot easier when you can keep eyes in the binoculars, so the spreadsheet allows for me to press button (such as "T" for tackle, and then #66 for the tackler, Bryan Jones, as in attached photo). I dont want to use a mouse. It is a very fast-paced environment. I want to create the following:

1. A hot key to delete entries in cells CM2 through CM11. Can I program a specific key or a set of keys to delete those entries? (Note, I do have a button I created in VBA that I can click)

2. A hot key to go to cell CM2 so I can enter. Can I program a specific key or set of keys to automatically go to that specific cell?

Note, I am also buying a programmable keyboard (https://www.amazon.com/Koolertron-S...ifQ==&sprefix=programmable,aps,92&sr=8-6&th=1) that I can program a specific keyboard key to be, for example, "alt h". So if I program Excel to make "alt h" delete cells CM2 through CM11, I can then program the keyboard to have one button be "alt h" and now that button clears the desired cells.

Attachments

• excel 2.PNG
    excel 2.PNG
    43.1 KB · Views: 7

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Also, Ill pay for help!
Are you familiar with the IF formula?

I am thinking you can set formulas in each box (cell) that you need to fill out to reference a single cell - Then always enter the data in the reference cell.

Example - for Tackles you enter T66 in say AA4

Then in your cell for Tackles - looks like AR11
The formula would be like this - =IF(LEFT(AA4,1)="T",MID(P19,2,2),"")

You would always have to type the number with a T before it or any letter of your choice.. P for player.

Upvote 0
Are you familiar with the IF formula?

I am thinking you can set formulas in each box (cell) that you need to fill out to reference a single cell - Then always enter the data in the reference cell.

Example - for Tackles you enter T66 in say AA4

Then in your cell for Tackles - looks like AR11
The formula would be like this - =IF(LEFT(AA4,1)="T",MID(P19,2,2),"")

You would always have to type the number with a T before it or any letter of your choice.. P for player.
I am, but I have a bunch of other codes so I need to leave it like it is.

Still neee help with the original question if anyone is available :)

Upvote 0
If you already have macros that do what you need, why not assign a shortcut key to the macro(s)? If you don't know how to do this, perform the following:
(1) Open the VIEW menu,
(2) Select the VIEW MACROS option under the MACROS drop-down,
(3) Select/Highlight the Macro you want to apply the shortcut to,
(4) Select the OPTIONS button,
(5) Assign a key to the "Shortcut Key" box, and
(6) Press the OK button to assign the shortcut to the specified macro.

The shortcut for this macro will now be CTRL + the assigned key.

NOTE: if you hold the SHIFT key before assigning the key, the macro shortcut will then be CTRL + SHIFT + assigned key.

1664475178992.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back