Programming language other than VBA

saadn

Hi all,

By profession, I am an accountant and auditor. I have recently started to learn VBA coding to help with my job and have found it to be really beneficial, which of course working with Excel on a day to day basis I would. I'm still learning it and have no intention of stopping.

What I also want to do alongside learning VBA is learn another programming language, although I am unsure which one.

The reason for learning another language, alongside VBA, is not just to assist me in my current career. I want to be able to develop apps for mobile phones and/or windows/mac. These could range from business apps to fitness or other, and maybe even games. Just want that skill-set to be able to do such.

I know there are many languages out there but I am struggling to decide on which one to invest my time and energy into. I started Java today but on second thought have decided to seek advice as I don't want to waste my time to find out I can't do what I want. Although I want to be able to develop apps, in case I can't think of anything unique to create, I want to at least be able to use those new language skills in my career so my time hasn't gone to waste.

So in short, which language would you recommend that will assist me in my career and aid me in developing apps for phones, mainly Android, and mac/windows operating systems?

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
The official language for Android development is Java : -->> I want to develop Android Apps - What languages should I learn?

10 Most Popular Programming Languages Today | Inc.com

"3. C

If you saw C on a report card, you'd be pretty bummed. Maybe a bit confused, too (is it actually a B-?). However, C is not the bizarrely bad grade it seems to be. It's often the first programming language taught in college (well, it was for me 10 years ago). I thought it was a nice "in-between" language in that it was object oriented without having to be fanatical about it. It was also low level enough to be close to hardware, but no so low level that you had to do everything manually. Because there are so many C compilers, you can write stuff in C and have it run pretty much anywhere."

"6. C#

C# (pronounced C-sharp, not C-hashtag for you Twitter fans) is the language used in order to develop Microsoft apps. C# is syntactically nearly identical to Java. I've spent much time training with C#, but if you're good at Java, you'll likely have an easy time jumping onto C#. If you're looking to work on Microsoft apps, C# is the way to go. C# opens a lot of Windows (har-har)."

Which Programming Language Should You Learn For Software Development?

"C/C++

Though actually separate languages, they are often grouped together, as C++ is basically an enhanced version of C, adding object oriented features. C++ is the serious programmer’s language of choice, forming the basis of most computer games and most advanced Windows software. It’s high performance, but requires a lot more precision on the programmers part when it comes to memory management and consequently has a steep learning curve. Not recommended for absolute beginners."

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raviguru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back