Progress Bar not showing progress. Please help.

Fiducci

I am using the To-Do List business template in Excel 2010 and the left handed column is a really cool progress bar that displays a percentage value and a colored progress for my task. I like this feature, but the colored progress bars for each task are all over the place and I can't make sense of them. For example, a cell that shows 25% complete has the progress bar showing through half of the cell, which indicates to me that the task is 50% complete rather than 25% complete as indicated by the percentage value in the cell.

Can someone please tell me how to correct this? If I have a cell that shows a numerical value of 10%, I'd like the colored progress bar to actually fill up 10% of the cell.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Dino

PS, it appears that the progress bar is considering values from a number of different cells and I want it to use only the value in the individual cell. Still confused on how to do this.

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Maybe if you post up the formula being used to populate the bar and a sample data set you have that is being used to populate the data bar, we can solve the issue.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I didn't type in a formula because it was already there in the template that I used. Is there a place I can go to find the formula of the template? Please let me know what I can give you in order to get this figured out.

Here are a couple screen shots. Hope they help:

Progress-Bar.jpg

and (whoops, 255 complete should be 25% complete in the below screenshot. Typo.

progess-bar2.jpg

Thanks again!

D

Upvote 0
Ok, it looks like it could just be that the conditional formatting isn't set up the way you want the bars shown.

Go to conditional formatting in the home tab and click on manage rules.
Click on the data bar condition in the menu that pops up and then click on Edit rule:
In the select a rule type box, click on format cells based on their values:
Then go down to the edit rule description area and in the type box select "percent" for both minimum and maximum.
Then in the value area select 0 for minimum and 100 for maximum.

That should solve your issue.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response and for the instructions, but it didn't work. I tried to do it in a blank spreadsheet as opposed to the template I'm working on and still had trouble. I followed your instructions to the letter.

I tried different combinations of percentages and it appears that it doesn't work for individual cells at all. If I highlight several cells at a time, then it works for some, but not for others.

My results lack any consistency so I can't tell why it works for some groups of cells and not for others. I'm confounded by the whole thing. Any other suggestions? Do you find that it works fine for you?

Regards,
Dino

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back