progress doughnut chart

berbs

I am new at utilizing the 95% of excel that I haven't used etc. etc…. I am very interested in getting better educated and your information is so helpful but I have a question about the doughnut progress chart. I am getting the hang of it but have revenue that exceeds goal and would like to show that on the doughnut for example. I apologize if I haven't gone further into what you have already provided but there is only so much youtube tutorials that I can watch given my busy schedule as a golf course general manager this time of year. I am in the process of really providing my employer and owners of the golf course some really good valued data we have never had before which is why I am working on this every day and night to get better at it.

Long story short, I am having a hard time understanding how to show exceeding revenue past goal on a doughnut chart (if its possible, I don't know). I know that a formula you can use is to show 0% if the "max" is reach as I have seen in the video but is there a way to show on the doughnut an "exceeded" goal result? I am searching youtube for this and only find your part 1 and 2 of progress charts etc. thank you. I am providing a screen shot of where I am having problems of where the data doesn't show accurate data on the chart where I have been inaccurate of putting in the right formula or "condition?". This is the "dashboard" I have set up to give to ownership and my employers but feel I am off the mark so to speak. Like I said, I getting the hang of it but know that there is so much more I can give once I get the hang of it and be more resourceful.

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
So donut and pie charts are good for showing things that add to 100%, or that sum to a total. Showing fraction achieved of a target is the same, as long as you don't exceed that target. If you come up with a clever way to get around this constraint, you will confuse everyone who looks at your chart, because intuitively, people see a donut or pie chart and think, "sums to the total".

In a progress chart, the two things are % Done and % Not Done. Those add to 100%.

If I have to do 10 pushups, and I have done three, the two things are 3 and 7, which add to 10.

If my revenue goal is $10,000, and my actual revenue is $12,000, where should I put the extra $2000? I can't really wrap it over the first $2000 of the chart. I could change it so my chart shows $10,000 goal and $2000 exceeds goal, but that won't work, because it violates the constraints of "adds to one."

Here's an alternative, sometimes called a thermometer chart. Simple data, actual and target. Make a column chart (Chart 1). What you really want is differently formatted bars, so on the ribbon, click Switch X and Y. Now you have two different series (Chart 2). Format the Target series so it has no fill and a dark border (Chart 3). Now format either series so the overlap is 100%. Now you can see how much of the Target is achieved by (filled by) Actual in Chart 4. Chart 5 shows a bit of clean up: I added a legend, adjusted the title and legend so they share the top of the chart, and I removed the label "1" on the horizontal axis. Chart 6 shows what happens when Actual exceeds Target. Chart 7 shows the horizontal version, if you had started with a horizontal bar chart rather than a vertical column chart.

BsacVaZ.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back