progressive variance/difference

Marcia_D

Hi :)

Apologies if this has been answered anywhere before, but have searched everywhere to find a solution and I am going grey rapidly :-/

I need a formula to give me a progressive difference as data (weights) are being entered. Note some months may be blank due to varying reasons, so only need the difference between those that have been logged and progressively as they are. Hope that makes sense! E.g.

Jan weight 78 / Feb weight 77 therefore difference being -1. should then Mar be entered at say 75 then the difference will then show to be -3. That in itself is not difficult, it is when I have a month where no data is entered that I run into trouble! Where there is one or no weights logged then the value would be null. Prefer not to get into VBA if it can be helped. I may be overthinking it but damned if I can get around it :(

Thanking you in advance. Really appreciate any help possible :)

Cheers,
Marcia

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Is this what you mean? If not please give some more complete sample data and the expected results.

Book1
ABC
1MonthAmtProg Diff
2Jan78
3Feb77-1
4Mar75-3
5Apr 
6May70-8
7Jun68-10
8Jul 
9Aug 
10Sep67-11
11Oct 
12Nov 
13Dec
Prog Diff
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C3:C12C3=IF(B3,B3-B$2,"")

Upvote 0
Hi :)
Gives the result, but next to each month rather than just in the one cell. I need it to be reported in the one cell only as the data is entered - if that is possible? I have gotten myself rather convoluted with nested ifs, and have gotten myself unstuck doing so :(

Forgot to mention that it is a quarters data only e.g. only over three months per customer...need to know what the overall weight change is in that quarter where data is given and as it is entered.

Upvote 0
Example:- noting that I would not have three different tables of data but just the one, with the below demonstrating as each month passes how the result would change :)

1578545130458.png

Upvote 0
Ok, try this one, copied down.

Also, for the future, you will generally get faster & better help if you can provide sample data in a form that helpers can copy/paste to test with. My signature block below has help on that.

Book1
ABCDE
2JanFebMarDiff
3Mr A75783
4Ms B750
5Mrs C0
6Mr Z5844-14
7Mr Q446543-1
Prog Diff (2)
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E3:E7E3=IF(COUNT(B3:D3),LOOKUP(1E+100,B3:D3)-INDEX(B3:D3,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(B3:D3<>"",0),0)),0)

Upvote 0
Awesome! Thank you so much and I take on board your feedback. Appreciate your patience and expertise :)

Kind regards,
Marcia

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

Note that I first posted an incorrect formula and then edited my post to give the current one so just check that you are using the latest one. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back