Project Database with User input/edit forms

petro62

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am just learning Access and I am trying to convert our Excel based "database" to some a little cleaner and more user friendly. After some advice from people here I made the switch from Excel to Access. I got my data imported over to Access and I started creating the forms, but I am kind of lost on how to tie it all together.

• How do I make it so that a specific user form comes ups when the file is opened?
  • How do I allow the user to filter a drop down list based on project status or project manager criteria?
  • After they filter that list the can select the project and then click edit for it to load all the info and allow them to edit.
I just need some help with those next steps as I feel I am a bit stuck. Can anyone point me in the right direction

Link to database file

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
These are all common topics that have been covered a zillion times, but I realize that sometimes when you don't know how to ask the question, it can be difficult to uncover the answers. So rather than repeat such basic tutorials I'll just say that for your questions, research
- ms access startup form
- cascading combo boxes

Access has forms, not userforms. As for editing, unless you do something to restrict the data in the first place, a form loaded with records is automatically editable and doesn't have to be "saved" with button click types of user interaction. Simply moving off of an edited record is enough to trigger a save.

Since you're coming from Excel, I'd suggest you review db normalization before doing anything else - unless you already know and understand the concepts and have adhered to them. If you don't, you'll likely be stuck and asking questions in forums like this one.

Upvote 0
Solution
Yeah I will have to read more on normalization. I read it but I can’t say I fully got it all. Just a different mindset I have to get used to.

Upvote 0
Try other sites as they will have different approaches to explaining it, or see if there are any YT vids you can learn from. Here's 2 sites that I think explain it a bit more thoroughly and one on diagramming your plan. Also if your post title is suggesting you'd have one form for editing and another form for creating records, don't do that. Learn to re-use objects for different purposes (but that might be another topic).

Normalization Parts I, II, III, IV, and V
and/or

Entity-Relationship Diagramming: Part I, II, III and IV

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for the great replies and links. Hopefully I can get this all figured out and running before I return back to work next week.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back