Project Explorer: Why do modules/forms for opened workbooks remain visible after 1 workbook was closed?

Ironman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I often have 2 workbooks open at once and then close one of them. At the moment the modules/forms for the closed workbook are still visible in the Project Explorer, which I find annoying.

Is there anything I can amend so that if I close one of the workbooks then the modules/forms for the closed workbook also close in the Project Explorer?

Thanks

Thanks Jeff. I've just disabled the Before Close event in the second workbook, then closed it and I still see the closed workbook's modules.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
No timers running.

However, the closed workbook does have a custom add-in (the code will only run with that workbook) - I'm guessing it's that, but shouldn't it close with that workbook?

Upvote 0
Add-ins usually stay resident as long as you have Excel open. They are loaded through the Excel application not through code when you open a specific workbook. If you think that is not the case then maybe what we're talking about is that this workbook is opening another workbook as support.

Upvote 0
Solution
I have seen this before. Another workbook can actually hold open a resource for another workbook. Once both workbooks have been closed then the memory is released.

Upvote 0
Ahhh - the add-in was written to make updating the workbook code easier so I guess that fits your "support" theory so that's OK - and yes, what you say makes sense if it's loaded through the application - I'm perfectly happy to accept that now I understand the reason, so thanks a lot Jeff!

Upvote 0
Confirm or deny that that is an actual add-in. Yes it is an add-in then do you have access to the VBA project code?

Upvote 0
"I hereby do solemnly swear that it's an actual add-in" .xlam ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back