Project Fee issue

Craigc3814

Board Regular
Good afternoon, I am working in Power BI Desktop and I am mostly comfortable in Power Query but I am not opposed to solving this through DAX either.

I am importing data from my companies financial software and it is causing a bit of an issue when I want to calculate the total fee of all projects that we have

We have a column called Project 1, Project 2, and Project 3, then a fee column.

Project 1 indicates that project number, Project 2 indicates the Task number, Project 3 indicates the sub task fee is just what it is the fee column

a row is made for each unique number between Project 1, 2, & 3

So if a project has tasks and subtasks a row will be created for each one and the fee is calculate per row

the problem I am having is it also creates a row for the entire project and in the fee column gives me the entire fee for the project so when I sum the fees it is doubling our fees

If every single project had tasks or subtasks I could easily just filter our that total row and I would have my number

The issue is every project doesnt. Some projects are just that a project with no tasks or subtasks and I need that total fee line.

Here is an Example

Project 1 Project 2 Project 3 Fee
1234 500
1235 600
1235 1 250
1235 1 1 250
1235 2 100

I want to remove that 1235 line with no tasks because the sum of all tasks get me to 600 but I do not want to remove the 1234 line

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
You are going to have to build some logic to manage this. It seems to me that if there is a single row, then you want it. If there is more than one row for project 1, then you want to remove it. I suggest
break the problem into staging queries
do a group by project 1, count rows, sum the fee. If count = 1, then keep it
then go back to the original query (copy) and remove all rows with null in P2 and P3
append the two

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's pretty much what I did, I grouped on project one then did a distinct count. I can't remember how I did it from there but it was some form of an if formula that accounted for distinct count being greater than one and project 2 being blank and creating a new fee row from that. It then allowed me to filter out the blanks and gave me what I want.

I'll double check tomorrow, I definitely did not use any staging queries, I'm trying to keep the data as small as possible.

Upvote 0
That's interesting, I always assumed if you made extra queries it had an impact on file size and refresh speed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spenstar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back