Project locked???

roscoe

I created a file with VBA included. A buddy copied it to use on his network. He needed some fixes so I opened the file and the VBA developer but could not edit the code, it said that the project was locked and unviewable.

I've never encountered this before...any idea what would cause this? Due to the painful logistics of moving the file from one proprietary network to another, I'd prefer to edit the existing one rather than edit the original and retransfer it.

Thanks!

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Did you password protect the VBA project?

roscoe

I did not. It does default to read-only unless one selects to edit it...which I did.

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Can you get into the editor & see the code?
Also what do you mean by
It does default to read-only unless one selects to edit it

roscoe

No, I can’t see the code...it’s the editor telling me it’s locked. As for the quoted question, the file is set to prompt whoever opens it if they want to open it read only or not. I selected “not”.

All that said, I just realized what the cause is...it’s a shared file. VBA code cannot be edited while a file is shared.

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Glad you figures it out & thanks for the feedback

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmuir12

This Week's Hot Topics

• Copy entire row if CountA <>0 to another sheet
    [B]I want to copy entire row if CountA <>0 for column J7:AM7 (headers on J6:AM6) and so on till the last used cell is column D and paste the...
  • Select last used Row in Table
    I have created a Table in a Worksheet which is locked to prevent user errors and protect formula. Some of the cells require freetext entries which...
  • excel workbook: do not allow certain file name
    Hello all, Don't think this has ever been asked before, but how do I restrict file save [Before_Save Event] if the name of the file being saved...
  • fixing problem autofilter
    hello i need help about my code when i search by code in textbox it doesn't show anything this is my data [ATTACH type="full"...
  • “Weight”
    Hi, i’ve got a long sheet filled with weights such as kg,g,L & ml. i can build a formula to convert kg into g and liter into ml. How ever, my...
  • How to capitalize everything before a certain character?
    In column A, I have some text: Hello good day.mp3 Hello good day.flac etc. I'd like to capitalize everything before the period. I don't need the...