Projected and Actual Dates

zippitydoodah

Hello,

I need help formatting an excel spreadsheet. I am not sure if it will require a macro or a basic formula.

The spreadsheet has 4 columns: Duration (B1), Projected Start Date (C1), Projected Finish Date (D1) and Actual Finish (E1). The first three columns - duration, projected start and finish all have numbers/dates entered into them at the start of a three month period. The projected finished dates are calculated based upon the projected start date + duration, so D1 =SUM(C1+B1). The actual finish column (E1) remains blank until we reach that date in the process. What I would like to happen is once there is a date entered into the actual finish column E1, that exact date is changed and reflected in the the start date column as we can't start a new project until we finish the last.

So if a project was supposed to start 6/1/2015 (C1) and last 1 day (B1) the projected finish would be 6/2/2015 (D1). However if the project actually finished a day late 6/3/2015 (E1) I want the following start date in C2 to be affected by this and change to 6/3/2015 which would then affect the rest of the schedule.

I have tried several things and can't come up with a solution.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
I would suggest you add a hidden column. Lets say in Column F, for each line you put in the start date you want.

Then in C2, try the formula
Code:
=if

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back