Proper Case with a Range of Exceptions

reasonablenesscheck

Working with Excel's proper case function and artist's names can be such a pain. :mad:

But I do have an accurate list of the way these artists names should appear.

For example: the artist EPMD should be all caps not Epmd.

I found this similar thread, but it isn't working properly because it doesn't allow for all caps names, it still forces proper case.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475886

I have a named range of artists (named "Words") on a sheet called "Exceptions" which are the actual way the artist names should appear. (A:1 thru A:64,999)

I paste my data in A:1 through A:? on a sheet called "Change Case"

Is there a simple VBA that will run a proper case command and paste the names in B:1 thru B:? UNLESS the artist name appears on the exceptions list?

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Yes, but it can be done in a formula:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,Exceptions!$A$1:$A$64999,0)),A1,PROPER(A1))

Upvote 0
Thanks HOTPEPPER. I pasted that in B1, copied it down, and it does work for mixed case names, but it's maintaining the all caps output for certain artists not in the exception list. I think it's ignoring the Proper command if not found in the exceptions list when I want it to apply Proper case if not found in the exceptions list.

Can I do this in a VBA sub?

Upvote 0
Just thinking out loud, but can't this sort of thing be done with a Do While Loop? Or a Do While Not?

Like Do Proper case while not artist = exception?

Upvote 0
Not sure what you mean, it's doing exactly what you asked, it is maintaining the entry exactly as is, if it is found in the exception list, otherwise it is applying Proper to it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for sticking with me on this HOTPEPPER.

I'll give you an example of what I am getting with my data.

<table x:str="" style="border-collapse: collapse;" width="336" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="297"><col style="width: 68pt;" width="91"> <tbody><tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl66" style="height: 12.75pt; width: 68pt;" width="91" height="17">1st Offence</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl66" style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">1st Team</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl66" style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">2 B Free</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl66" style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">2 Bad Mice</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl66" style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">2 Birds, A Frog And A Vampire</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl66" style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">2 BMF</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl66" style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">2 Body's / Marathon</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl66" style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">2 Boys</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl66" style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">2 Brothers On The 4th Floor</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

^That's my Exceptions List.

Here is my Input and Output.

<table x:str="" style="border-collapse: collapse;" width="493" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="317"><col style="width: 48pt;" width="64" span="2"> <tbody><tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt; width: 48pt;" width="64" height="17">2 BIRDS, A FROG AND A VAMPIRE</td> <td style="width: 48pt;" width="64">2 BIRDS, A FROG AND A VAMPIRE</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">2 BLACK 2 STRONG</td> <td>2 Black 2 Strong</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">2 BLACK 2 STRONG & MMG</td> <td>2 Black 2 Strong & Mmg</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">2 BMF</td> <td>2 BMF</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">2 BOYS 1 GIRL</td> <td>2 Boys 1 Girl</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">2 BROTHERS ON THE 4TH FLOOR</td> <td>2 BROTHERS ON THE 4TH FLOOR</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
(BTW: My list is called Exception)

and I used this code.

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,Exception!$A$1:$A$64998,0)),A1,PROPER(A1))

It seems to be skipping certain entries in the exception list for no apparent reason. Sometimes digits don't exist for it to ignore exceptions, so I don't understand why it's not working.

Upvote 0
Yep. I ran a trim All macro I found to remove all white spaces and I confirmed it manually on "2 Brothers On The 4th Floor" and 2 Birds, A Frog And A Vampire.

I put it in a Macro. At this point it's...

Code:
Sub properlikehammer()

LastRow = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Range("B1:B" & LastRow).Formula = "=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,Exception!$A$1:$A$19156,0)),A1,PROPER(A1))"

End Sub

Upvote 0
By the way, at first I thought maybe special characters and numbers were causing the code to fail, but it is failing on others too.

For example ZZ Top is in my exceptions list. ZZ TOP is the input and ZZ TOP is the output.

Any reason why this isn't working??

Is it my syntax?

I am using an exact reference in the range, does it work with A:A instead?

Ughh.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back