Proper SUMIF Technique

kcoon

Does anyone here know why the following formula gives me 0 results (in this formula, the text "Dave" appears in column E):

=SUMIF(C12:E31,"Dave",C12:C31)

Yet, when I move the colum I am evaluating to the left of the sum range I get "55" (now the text is in Column B" -- I just copied and pasted it)

=SUMIF(B12:D31,"Dave",C12:C31)

Can SUMIF only evaluate data to the left of the sum range?

Nimrod

MrExcel MVP
Hello kcoon

=SUMIF(C12:E31,"Dave",C12:C31)
SUMIF(Criteria_range,criteria,sum_range)

You've got the column "Dave" will be found in Overlapping with the column to sum :confused: :wink:

What Column is the Name In ?
What Column are the numbers in ?

=SUMIF(E:E,"dave",C:C)
In this example the values to sum are in Column C and the name Dave can be found in Column E .

kcoon

Nimrod, I thought I followed your comment about overlapping, but when I don't include Column C in the range I get some funky result (I think it tries to sum Column D).

This is what basically what it looks like now:

Column B Column C Column D Column E

Dave 4 $10,000 Dave
Charlie 5 $11,000 Charlie
Frank 6 $10,500 Frank
Dave 7 $9,000 Dave

I'm looking for sum = 11 without using column B (if that's possible)

Nimrod

MrExcel MVP
=SUMIF(E:E,"dave",C:C)
In this example the values to sum are in Column C and the name Dave can be found in Column E .

kcoon

That definitely did the trick. Thanks.

Still, I'm slightly perplexed as to why I can specify a range of multiple columns in one instance, =SUMIF(B:D,"Dave",C:C), and not in the other. Is there some basic concept that I'm missing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahmanab001

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• Problem with Radio Button's format control
    I am creating an employee evaluation template (a sample is below) Column A is the category Column B, C D, E and F will be ratings (unacceptable...
  • Last Display on userform to a Listbox
    [CODE=vba] lstdisplay.ColumnCount = 15 lstdisplay.RowSource = "A1:O600000" [/CODE] So when i do this it Displays everything on the sheet i am...
  • Rename and move files to a new location
    Dear all, I have an excel file with the following information. The actual file name is at column A but i want to rename it using the following...
  • Help with True/False Formula
    Hello! Am stumped how to fix this formula, in which my result returns 'True', but it should return False. =IF(AG2=True...
  • Clear extra characters from a provided range of cells
    Dear All, I have following code which gives me desired output to remove extra characters from a provided range. But it takes too much time when...
  • Help with Current and highest streaks
    Hi there, I've just joined the forum and this is my first post. I've already spent quite a bit of time searching the net and this forum for a...