protect a formula

Tamara Thornton

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
How do you protect a formula - I have a formula in a cell that i donot want to change
How do I share a worksheet - where multiple people can open and work on it at he same time

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Book1
ABCD
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2D2=SUM(B2:C2)

Here is a formula in Cell D2 that adds up the numbers in B2 and C2. You want to protect the formula in cell D2.

First, you must select the cells we want to allow people to edit. So highlight all of the cells you need to, then Right-click and select FORMAT CELLS:

1679704296134.png

In the PROTECTION tab, make sure to uncheck the box that says "LOCKED":

1679704393666.png

Right-click on the cell, and select FORMAT CELLS

1679702913296.png

Click on the PROTECTION tab and make sure the check box next to LOCKED is checked, then click OK to close the window:

1679703040826.png

Then click the REVIEW tab at the top, and select PROTECT SHEET:

1679703292800.png

A window appears that allows you to select what you want to protect. Make sure to check the box that says "PROTECT WORKSHEET AND CONTENTS OF LOCKED CELLS," and give a password if you so choose:

1679703459270.png

Now if I click on the cell containing the formula and I try to modify or delete it, I get the following warning message:

1679704523055.png

For the second part of your request, you asked about multiple people being able to work on the same worksheet simultaneously. I don't have a way of demonstrating that here, but take my word that it's not a good idea because it causes problems. If multiple people have the worksheet open on their individual computers, different versions are floating around on the network. One person will make a change and save it, and the next person will also make and save it and ultimately overwrite the change the first person made. And so on and so on.

You can store the worksheet in a folder that everyone can access. If somebody has the workbook open and another person tries to open it, the first person's name will show up, stating they are working on the document. I believe there is even an option to receive a notification once the person is done editing the file, and it's available for the next person to work on it.

I think I have everything covered here. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 1679703250622.png
    1679703250622.png
    47 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
recon11bucks

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back