Protect certain cells

F1f3r2k6

Hi there

I am sorry for this is a simple question, as you can probably tell I am still working out the ins and outs of excel, please bear with me.

All I am trying to do is protect cells that contain formula as I have created a workbook for my friend who will be updating it and she is worse than me when it comes to excel and she is worried that she will delete the formula by mistake.

Can someone help me out please and tell me how to protect certain cells - namely the cells that have formula in them?

Thanks in advance
x

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Hi
I finally worked it out for myself. I have posted it just in case I can help anyone one out with the same question.
Protect Cells with Formula
To protect formulas only; changes and additions to the rest of the worksheet are allowed. Your workbook must be saved before the protections will take affect.

Select the entire worksheet by clicking the Select All button (the gray rectangle in the upper-left corner of the worksheet where row 1 and column A headings intersect.) You can also press CTRL+A to select the entire worksheet.

Choose Cells from the Format menu, or Press Ctrl-1

Select the Protection tab, clear the Locked check box, and click OK.
Note: This has just unprotected every cell in the worksheet.

The next step will be to protect only the cells with formulas in them.
On the Edit menu, choose Go To, or press F5. Select the Special button.

Select the Formulas option, and then make sure the four check boxes below it are selected. Select OK. This forces Excel to select the cells that contain formulas.

Press Ctrl+1 again and Select the Protection tab. This time check the Locked check box. Select OK to complete the operation. Now the cells containing formulas will be locked and the cells containing text and values will be unlocked.

Finally, open the Tools menu and select Protection, Protect Sheet. (At this point, you have the option of entering a password that must be provided before you can unprotect your worksheet.) Select OK to enable worksheet protection.

To remove the protection from your worksheet, choose the Tools, Protection, Unprotect Sheet command. If you have assigned a protection password, you will have to enter it at this point.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back