Protect excel sheet

kangaris

Hello,

I have an excel sheet and I am trying to find the most secure way to protect it from being modified. I know that sometimes even if you lock the cells if someone save it as then the excel can be modified. Can somebody advise?

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Excel is NOT a secure platform. If someone really wants to modify it, they can.

The best way to prevent modification is to write your spreadsheet so the end user likes things the way that they are.

Upvote 0
Hello Mike,

I agree with what you said. However, I am not really concerned about changing the spreadsheet but about copyrights since I believe my excel sheet is a great powerful tool (almost working as a software) which anyone can claim copyrights if I don´t.

Upvote 0
That is even worse. Those people who are clever enough to claim copywrite for your coding will also be clever enough to bypass any VBA security. (Or just about anything else.)

And you need to claim copyright in any case. If you copyright the work before they crack it, then it doesn't matter if they crack it, they can't claim its their code. (Or my thinking may be more applicable to music than to software.)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apwr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back