Protect Sheet - Data Validation Not Working

The_Steward

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello

I am using a dependent searchable drop down data validation list in my excel sheet. But the list does not drop down immediately when the sheet is protected (Is usually delayed by up to a few minutes after I click on another cell and re-click the cell). Why is this happening and how do I fix this?

The formula I use for the dependent searchable drop down data validation list is not a macro but there is a macro connected with that cell so that it expands when selected.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Please give the details on how your dependent searchable drop down data validation list is set up. Is the cell unlocked?

Upvote 0
Cell is unlocked and linked to cell in another sheet Which has following formula... =IF('Sheet1'!C11=$R$2,FILTER($R$3:$R$162,ISNUMBER(SEARCH('Sheet1'!C12,$R$3:$R$162)),"Not Found"),IF('Sheet1'!C11=$S$2,FILTER($S$3:$S$162,ISNUMBER(SEARCH('Sheet1'!C12,$S$3:$S$162)),"Not Found")

C12 is cell in question
Content of C11 is what C12 is dependent upon

Both sheets are automatically locked by Macro upon opening workbook

Upvote 0
Hi

I'm facing the same issue, did you find a solution?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi

I'm facing the same issue, did you find a solution?

Thanks

Yes I did! Using VBA I had to unlock the sheet when the cells with dropdowns were selected and then lock the the sheet once a cell outside the range was selected. The problem was that dropdown would not work if column was being expanded and the sheet was protected. Hope this helps.

Below is exactly what i'm using in my VBA atm. Do not forget to add the starting command and end sub.

If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub

If Not Application.Intersect(Target, Range("")) Is Nothing Then

ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:=""

Target.Columns.ColumnWidth = ""

Else

ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:=""

Columns("H:L").ColumnWidth = ""

ActiveSheet.Protect Password:=""

End If

Upvote 0
o thank you very much

and I'm assuming this isn't possible to do it without VBA?

Upvote 0
o thank you very much

and I'm assuming this isn't possible to do it without VBA?
If you're changing the columns or rows dimensions and the sheet is protected then no. Or at least not that i'm aware of. My formula for the dropdown worked fine when I was not trying to change the columns dimensions or I had the sheet unprotected.

Upvote 0
If you're changing the columns or rows dimensions and the sheet is protected then no. Or at least not that i'm aware of. My formula for the dropdown worked fine when I was not trying to change the columns dimensions or I had the sheet unprotected.
I'm using Filter function

Upvote 0
I got it to work:

Excel Formula:
=TRANSPOSE(SORT(UNIQUE(FILTER(Table25,ISNUMBER(SEARCH('Recharge Sheet'!G5,Table25,1)),"Account not found"))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back