Protect/Unprotect Password via userform

Donai

hi, i have created a userform to unprotect/protect all worksheets in a workbook, so in the userform i have a textbox and a command button, in the userform code i have this, the problem is where do i put the password in this code?

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim wSheet As Worksheet
For Each wSheet In Worksheets
If wSheet.ProtectContents = True Then
wSheet.Unprotect Password:=TextBox1.Text
Else
wSheet.Protect Password:=TextBox1.Text
End If
Next wSheet
Unload Me
End Sub

</PRE>

</PRE>

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Welcome to the Board!

Why bother with a user form unless you want users to be able to interact with it? You can do it seamlessly in the code itself without a form.

You can add the password like this (not tested):

Code:
  Dim wSheet As Worksheet
  Dim pword as string
    pword = "yada"

If wSheet.ProtectContents = True And TextBox1.Text = pword Then
         wSheet.Unprotect Password:=pword
      Else
      End If
   Next wSheet
Unload Me
End Sub

Upvote 0
ok i ran the below, but i got a run time error 1004- Password you suplied is not correct, though i get this message, when i click on a cell its locked, when i run the code again and put password in txtbox i get the same error, but the sheet is unlocked, then why do i get run-time error?

Welcome to the Board!

Why bother with a user form unless you want users to be able to interact with it? You can do it seamlessly in the code itself without a form.

You can add the password like this (not tested):

Code:
  Dim wSheet As Worksheet
  Dim pword as string
    pword = "yada"

Else
      End If
   Next wSheet
Unload Me
End Sub

Upvote 0
Ok, i got this to work, but i came across an issue. When i unlock password via userform and then type say i randomly type ASD in the userform and press OK, then and accepts it, but when i try to use the orignal password to unlock again then it does not seem to accept it. Is there anyway round this, can we put a message box, so if the user manually inputs some random string in the textbox and then executes the command button OK then i would like the code give a warning message, "Saying incorrect password, please try again"

Code:
  Dim wSheet As Worksheet
  Dim pword As String
    pword = "yada"

Else
      End If
   Next wSheet
Unload Me
End Sub

Upvote 0
Right,

The problem is that there are potentially different passwords. I just chose a random password for the unprotect, which should match the protect routine (like I said, I didn't test it).

You'll need to make the password code look for and use matching passwords in each instance. You can also add a message box along these lines:

If pword <> TextBox1.Text Then MsgBox...

Sorry for being so short, but I've got to go finish tilling the garden before dark.

Upvote 0
I get an error message End if without block if on the last End If after next

Right,

The problem is that there are potentially different passwords. I just chose a random password for the unprotect, which should match the protect routine (like I said, I didn't test it).

You'll need to make the password code look for and use matching passwords in each instance. You can also add a message box along these lines:

If pword <> TextBox1.Text Then MsgBox...

Sorry for being so short, but I've got to go finish tilling the garden before dark.

Upvote 0
I just posted an example of what you could do to validate the password, not necessarily what would work in your case. The ellipsis (...) indicates that's only a partial code snippet. ;)

In the mean time feel free send me a copy of your wb and I'll see what I can do. Just PM me with your e-mail address.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just posted an example of what you could do to validate the password, not necessarily what would work in your case. The ellipsis (...) indicates that's only a partial code snippet. ;)

In the mean time feel free send me a copy of your wb and I'll see what I can do. Just PM me with your e-mail address.

I'm at work so unable to send email :(, i did try and put the msgbox at the start and it works, but again if i randomly input a string in text box, i get the msgbox message "No Pass" as expected, but then when i press ok it does not recognise the orignal password when i input in textbox, so maybe we can have a cancel button in the msg box.

Code:
Dim wSheet As Worksheet
Dim pword As String
pword = "yada"

If pword <> TextBox1.Text Then MsgBox "No Pass"
Else
End If
Next wSheet
Unload Me
End Sub

Upvote 0
i tried using vbcancel, but still i am having issues when i randomly type the wrong password, click ignore, open the userform again, type the correct password and i get run time error 1004, password incorrect

Code:
  Dim wSheet As Worksheet
  Dim pword As String
    pword = "yada"

If pword <> TextBox1.Text Then MsgBox "No Pass", vbCancel

Else
      End If
   Next wSheet
Unload Me
End Sub

Upvote 0
Try this:

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> CommandButton1_Click()<br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> wSheet <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Worksheet<br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> pword <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    pword = "yada"<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> pword <> TextBox1.Text <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>        MsgBox "No Pass", vbCancel<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>    Else:<br>         <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> wSheet <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> Worksheets<br>           <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> wSheet.ProtectContents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>              wSheet.Unprotect Password:=pword<br>           <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>              wSheet.Protect Password:=pword<br>           <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> wSheet<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>    <br>Unload Me<br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farhansadik

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back