Protecting a Worksheet

AndreaHJ

Is there any way to protect a set of columns in a worksheet and still allow users to add rows or cut and paste rows without un-protecting those cells first?
I have a form that needs to be used by several departments and everyone is worried about the other messing up their work, but the document still needs to be flexible.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Welcome to the Board.

Maybe I am not understanding your question, but if you could do what I think you are asking, what would the point of protection be (if it doesn't really protect it)?

Upvote 0
Thank you.

The point is to protect the data in those columns from being changed, but still allow someone else to add in blank rows and change the order of items. It is a working documents so the forms needs some versatility but coworkers fear their work getting lost by another user.

I think my real problem is that I am trying to satisfy too many people at the same time, who do not trust each other. But there must be another forum for that problem.

Upvote 0
Well, you could try to "control" the process more by creating a bunch of macros to go along with it. So the data is all protected, and the macro would temporarily unprotect it to do the data move (or data entry) and then re-protect it.

So if the wanted to move a row, maybe there is Command Button that they click and it will ask them where they want to move the data to. Then the macro will do the move (not them). So the data is only unprotected enough for the macro to run.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back