protecting and selling an excel tool that integrates with Visio - how to get started! :)

miless2111s

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have developed a tool which takes information pasted into Excel and drives a Visio diagram. This allows me to copy and paste information from MS Project and drive Visio to produce a high quality Project Summary suitable for all audiences.

The number of times that I have been told "you should sell this" has finally sunk in and I'm moving in that direction.

My question is how to protect, licence and distribute this which I've broken down into three starter questions

How to protect the guts of the tool?
In excel I have a number of inputs and options which the user changes to manipulate the colours, date range, appearance etc or the final report however there are a huge number of calculations, sheets etc which drive the final output sheet.
I would like to be able to protect and hide these so that people can't see how I did it or worse fiddle with it.
I know that I can hide, protect etc using passwords but I am also aware these are rather easy to crack using tools on the internet.
What techniques are available to protect or change the tool so that the Intellectual Property is protected? Note that the final output needs to be in Excel so that the tool actually works!

how to licence the product?
The tool currently consists of a pair of files per report - one excel and one Visio. Each project summary needs a different pair due to the level of customisation which is required (you're report to the board might be half a PowerPoint slide with big blocks and the report for the project team might be a detailed A0 plot).
As such the user needs to be able to copy (at the moment) each pair many times. Alternatively in the future something might generate the pair but I expect it will always be a pair.
How can I licence to an individual and distribute to them?

how to offer a time limited trial
Linked to the licencing issue how can I offer a free trial for same a month to an individual and then either upgrade them to full licence status or shut the functionality down?

Obviously I will either have to learn some new stuff or more likely to pay someone to help me with this however I don't know the questions to ask or the areas to search in at the moment so any suggestions or advice will be gratefully received.!

Thanks in advance

Miles

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back