Protecting Backend from prying eyes?

bofonomo

Board Regular
Hi, it's been a while since my last post. It's good to be back :)

I've got a simple database with a frontend form linked to a back end.

I've been trying to protect the backend from users of the form. So they can only open the database and fill out the form, but not view the back end table, how can I do this.

Password encryption is all I can find but this still allows the user of the front end to view the back end table, which could contain personal information of others.

Please help!

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
bofonomo,

I don't have all the code for you, but essentially the only way that i know how to do it is to manipulate everything from SQL statements in VBA. That way, you are not showing any linked tables in the front end interface, but the connection and query is done via the underlying VBA.

There is a great little app that Allen Browne has on his site to get some of that SQL converted into VBA. http://allenbrowne.com/ser-71.html

Hopefully this gets you started in the right direction. I am sure that someone will post shortly after me with an easier way of doing things (as always been my experience!) but until that time, you can check out what I talked about above.

Upvote 0
I've got limited time to do this, so I've used the "Usys" prefix for the table name, which should keep most people out for the moment, but I'm definitely check out your link for future reference.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Upvote 0
I've got limited time to do this, so I've used the "Usys" prefix for the table name, which should keep most people out for the moment, but I'm definitely check out your link for future reference.

Thanks for the quick reply.

All you need to do is to NOT let them have access to the database window/nav pane. And you do that by disabling the F11 key (by unchecking the USE ACCESS SPECIAL KEYS checkbox under the startup options for the current database) and then you would need to use the DISABLE SHIFT KEY BYPASS (do a Google search and you'll find it). Make sure you have the Enable Shift Key Bypass set up to work somehow so you can get in to work on things.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back