Protecting Conditional formatting only

suzkb

I have a worksheet that can be accessed via password by multiple users. I need to allow these users to enter data, but I want to prevent them from overriding the conditional formats in the cells. Each row is color-coded, so if they drag info from one row to another or copy & paste, they screw up my beautiful color system. :devilish:

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Hi:

The only help I can find:
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...ng+to+a+protected+sheet+group:*Excel*&rnum=11

This doesn't look easy either. But if your formatting is not too complicated, the mirror sheet idea may work nicely, or you could just code in your formatting directly with a routine.

Here's a solution I use, which may or may not be useful to you. I "hide" my conditional formats in the header column. Then, on close or button click or whatever, I run a routine to remove the "Header-only" formatting (i.e., remove bold and fill that is for the header only...now my header looks like the other cells)...Then I copy the header formats (copy formats only) down to the rest of the cells...then I restore the bold and fill in the header, so its back to what it started out like, and all my cells have the conditional formatting that was "contained" in the header cells.

Would that serve?

HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtsheetz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back