Protection of all VBA in one

Zunit

Hi,

Could you please assist with below issue:

I send out excel files to various branches within my company. I password protect the worksheets so that formula in certain cells can not be modified. I recently discovered that you can run a macro/vba code to unlock these sheets.

How do I prevent users from accessing the VBA editor / recording a macro? If they can record macros then they can use VBA to unlock my protected sheets.

Also, what is the best way to ensure that my protected sheets are not hacked into by users? Will blocking VBA recording sufficiently protect the sheets?

Thanks for your help. :)

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
you can password protect VBA....but, like all Excel passwords, are not very secure !!
To protect the VBA project, use:
Tools>>VBA Project Properties>>Protection Tab >> tick "Lock Project for Viewing" >>> insert a password
In answer to your last question....NO, if someone wants to hack they will / can !!!

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for your response. The above solution is not solving the problem. Users can still record macros. I want a way to block users from having access to record any macros.

Upvote 0
I send out excel files to various branches within my company. I password protect the worksheets so that formula in certain cells can not be modified.
Since this is internal to your company, you might ask why your users want to change your formulas.
The above solution is not solving the problem. Users can still record macros.
Again, this workbook is being distributed internally. Why shouldn't users record macros?
If you have co-workers who are being malicious, that's an HR problem, that can't be solved with Excel.

Excel protection is easily overcome with anyone who as access to a web search engine. If security is that important, Excel is not the right platform.

If the workbook is for company internal use, and sheet protection is not sufficient; that's an HR issue.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back