Protection

pnrymmf

How can i password protect a workbook so that when you elect read only it will still not allow links to the spreadsheet to be updated?
I have several PMs updating their individual spreadsheets which link to a main workbook. I have to allow other people in my organization to view the main workbook but do not want them to be able to update the spreadsheet by the links due to some manual work that has to be done. Currently, the workbook is password protected but if you open it in read only, it still prompts you to update the links and will allow them to save their changes. Thanks,

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Hello,
I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the file is read-only and yet it allow them to save the changes. That should not happen if the file in the read-only mode. Just make sure that when you save your work it is save under read only. If you have excel xp do the following: Go to save as -> on top TOOLS -> GENERAL OPTIONS -> enter the passwork for modifications not for open file. This feture should would allow other people look at your file make any changes they want but would ask them to save under a different name. So, that your file would be unchanges.
Hope that helps.
~alizok

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back