PT Calculated Fields: Differentiate Between Zero and "(blank)"

mc-lemons

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all!

I'm trying to created a Calculated Field in a Pivot Table with an IF statement that goes something like this

Excel Formula:
=IF(Field2="(blank)",Field1,Field2)

But Excel doesn't seem to find any "(blank)" cells when that formula is entered into the calculated field, even though the below formula returns TRUE when placed in a cell outside the Pivot Table, as a check (Note the value in G3 is "(blank)"

Excel Formula:
=G3="(blank)"

So it seems that a regular formula vs one used for a Calculated Field handles the blank cells differently.

If I change the "(blank)" to a 0 as shown below, it works, but then any cell that actually has a zero in it (vs "(blank)") is considered TRUE in the logical test. I need the calculated field to only consider actual blank cells as TRUE and everything else as FALSE (including zeros). But I'm not sure how to write the IF statement to differentiate between the two. I appreciate any help on the matter!

Excel Formula:
=IF(Field2=0,Field1,Field2)

Both isBLANK and isTEXT worked for me, however I tested on my Mac, and entered in the following manner rather than just using Field2.

Excel Formula:
=ISBLANK(GETPIVOTDATA("AMOUNT",$F$15,"PAYEE","Apple"))

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
I created a calculated field in a pivot table and try the following three formulae:

VBA Code:
=IF(Field2=0,Field1,Field2)
=IF(Field2="",Field1,Field2)
=IF(LEN(Field2)=0,Field1,Field2)

Only the first one works. The other two don't work, as if there are things in the cells. Null strings?

Upvote 0
Try:
Excel Formula:
=IF(Field2,Field1,Field2)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In your formula are you meaning to write

Excel Formula:
isBLANK(Field2)

I'm guessing if isTEXT doesn't work, isBLANK won't either, but worth a try...
Yeah, ISBLANK doesn't work outside the PT or in the calculated field. But thanks for continuing to try.

Upvote 0
I think I've determined that formulas within a Calculated Field do not differentiate between zeros and empty/blank cells. I created a test calculated field with the simple formula below, and the it returned a zero (0) for all cells that actually had a value of zero AND those that were blank. This explains why a lot of the above suggestions didn't work. So unfortunately, I think what I am trying to do is impossible with calculated fields. Bummer.

Excel Formula:
=Field2

Upvote 0
I think I've determined that formulas within a Calculated Field do not differentiate between zeros and empty/blank cells. I created a test calculated field with the simple formula below, and the it returned a zero (0) for all cells that actually had a value of zero AND those that were blank. This explains why a lot of the above suggestions didn't work. So unfortunately, I think what I am trying to do is impossible with calculated fields. Bummer.

Excel Formula:
=Field2

WOW, very strange. I keep hoping one of the Experts will chime in with an answer...

Upvote 0
WOW, very strange. I keep hoping one of the Experts will chime in with an answer...
Me, too! Any idea how we coax them to view the thread?? They usually have creative workarounds, even if it doesn't look like something is possible.

Upvote 0
The problem may actually be that no formulas other than SUM can be used in a Calculated Field. Just basic math operators. See the "About Calculated Fields" bullet point in the link below.

Upvote 0
Try:
Excel Formula:
=IF(Field2,Field1,Field2)
I tested this on a very simple pivot table and it worked on a very simple hypothetical test. But I don't know if it is the right or the best way to do it or if this works in all kind of fields/pivot tables.
I have basic skills in pivot table, but learning more.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back