PT Calculated Fields: Differentiate Between Zero and "(blank)"

mc-lemons

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all!

I'm trying to created a Calculated Field in a Pivot Table with an IF statement that goes something like this

Excel Formula:
=IF(Field2="(blank)",Field1,Field2)

But Excel doesn't seem to find any "(blank)" cells when that formula is entered into the calculated field, even though the below formula returns TRUE when placed in a cell outside the Pivot Table, as a check (Note the value in G3 is "(blank)"

Excel Formula:
=G3="(blank)"

So it seems that a regular formula vs one used for a Calculated Field handles the blank cells differently.

If I change the "(blank)" to a 0 as shown below, it works, but then any cell that actually has a zero in it (vs "(blank)") is considered TRUE in the logical test. I need the calculated field to only consider actual blank cells as TRUE and everything else as FALSE (including zeros). But I'm not sure how to write the IF statement to differentiate between the two. I appreciate any help on the matter!

Excel Formula:
=IF(Field2=0,Field1,Field2)

I tested this on a very simple pivot table and it worked on a very simple hypothetical test. But I don't know if it is the right or the best way to do it or if this works in all kind of fields/pivot tables.
It actually was very close to working, except that I had to swap the if TRUE/FALSE order (see below). And also, when a zero is in Field2 (versus a blank), I want it to return Field2, but the formula returns Field1. I was just messing with some basic logical tests with IF and OR formulas, and the results did not make sense, so I feel like those formulas inside the calculated fields are not being processed as they normally would. Hence, my latest comment.

Excel Formula:
=IF(Field2,Field2,Field1)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Like that?
Excel Formula:
=IF(OR( F2=0, F2), F2, F1)

Upvote 0
Sorry, really does not works. Hope someone else can help.

Upvote 0
Based on this thread (that I think is true), pivot table cannot differentiate between zero and blank fields, and you should use a workaround:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back